It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 1:21 pm 

What do I put on the grass where the dog urinates. It is killing the grass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 9:41 pm 

tooz-
Let me guess, you have a female dog. Dog urine has a lot of salt, just like commercial chemical fertilizers. If you spill high nitrogen chemical fertilizers on your lawn it will leave a burn spot, the same way your dog does. That is one of the many benefits of organic fertilizers. (I had to get that shot in against the chemical boys) The salt literally pulls the water out of the blades of grass and they die.
If you don't have a life, you could wait for the dog to go and dilute the spot with water.
One recommendation is to keep the dog in a kennel during the day. This isolates the damage or, if you have a concrete floor, eliminates it.
When you let her out you can keep a hose handy to dilute her spots.
We have a female Great Pyrenees rescue dog. We love her so much, burn spots and all.
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:20 am 

You can also put zeolite on the areas where she goes. Zeolite is great for locking up ammonia. I use it for kitty litter.
You may want to post questions in other forums, as this one is for questions about the discussion board. It is fortunate that TonyM found you here, t00z!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 2:29 pm 

In the spots occur in the winter I use table sugar on the spots. The carbon in the sugar balances the excess nitrogen in the soil there and it turns green again.

In the summer, I find the dog spots have become a fungal disease. He (mine is a male) goes in one spot all the time. When he's left out at night, he goes in his favorite spots and a fungus occurs there. I treat those spots with corn meal.