It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:17 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Itching Dog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:53 am 

I have a 2 year Yorkie and it bites at itself all the time. I have checked him closely and often and find no signs of fleas. It seems as if it might be allergies. I am switching his food to Muenster Natural to see if that helps. Any other suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: itchy dog
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:44 pm 

I read somewhere-maybe here-that equal parts of listerine, baby oil, & H2O mixed & applied on the skin will help. I need to try it on my "Feagle" (beagle/fox terrier) so lets both be in charge of this research-
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 7:52 pm 

Part of your Yorkie's itching may be caused by food sensitivities. Many dog foods that are grain-based can cause itching - the dog will bite itself and chew on its feet. The dry dog foods that are lamb-and-rice-based are less allergenic and can help with this problem in some dogs.
If your Yorkster has itching from dry skin, feeding the little dog a sardine (packed in oil) once a month or so will also help - the omega-3 fatty acids and calcium in sardines are great for dry skin! And since Yorkies are so small, one sardine will do just fine!
I learned my lesson about dogs and food intolerance only after I paid enough $ to the vet to put both her kids through private school for removal of lick granulomas! Once I switched their food to nutro natural lamb and rice, the itching and licking went away!
I hope some of this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 4:06 pm 

Muenster Natural will solve your skin problems

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:06 pm 

MrHargi, What is the status of your Yorkie's skin situation? What remedies have you implemented and how effective (or not) have they been?

FWIW, We feed our Boxer Natural Choice Lamb & Rice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 9:21 am 

I have had no luck with the Muenster. You are the second to suggest the Lamb & Rice so I will try that next.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 11:10 am 

I hesitate to mention this, as it may be information you already have in hand, but just in case :wink: As you change food formulations, you should not make an abrupt switch, but slowly mixing in the new with the old so as not to cause any stomach distress.

I also wanted to clarify, again if it wasn't already clear, Natural Choice is a brand within a brand. The brand family is Nutro as mentioned by drchelo. Also FWIW, I was originally guided to this product several years ago by a vendor who carried both the Nutro and the Muenster products. In their opinion, the Nutro was the superior product of the two. As I said, our Boxer has been very happy with it for 4 years now, and the Boxer breed is known for their "tempermental" digestive tracts (from what I understand).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 5:14 am 

Why did she say the other dog food was superior to Muenster?

Also, how long did you feed Muenster? It takes at least 90 days to "turn over" the blood, that is to clean up the system from the toxins that caused the irritation.