It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:50 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 8:13 am 

I live in ks and my dogs have a bad tick prob this year I have been reading your articles on the orage stuff and all will this work and also what else will work to keep these babies off? Also what isthe nameof the products and where may I purchase these items at? Thanks for any help you cngive us.....
Dave

Post subject: Other tick remedies
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 6:29 pm 

In the past, when we have seen ticks, we sprinkled Brewer's Yeast on the dog's food.

Check your local feed supply store, vet, petshops...

m

Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 6:17 am 

I'll try that anything has to work right now we are giving a garlic clove and that seems to be working great also.
Thank You
Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 10:29 am 

We use this product for bathing our She-Boxer. We (and she) are very happy with the way it leaves her coat.

http://www.espree.com/petcare/alternatives/citrusilplus.html

A post bath spritz :D with this

http://www.espree.com/petcare/alternatives/citrusilspray.html

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:23 pm 

Help Your Pet Fight Fleas, Ticks and other minute Parasites
with Essential Oils

We put lemongrass essential oil in our dogs' shampoo to keep away ticks and fleas - but you can also put a few drops in a spray bottle with water and spray the dogs or make your own dog collar with essential oils - insects do not like many essential oils - you don't actually kill the insects - they just stay away from where ever the essential oils are. More information about essential oils at http://antiagingchoices.com/Aromatherapy/home.htm

NOTE:  Animals have a much stronger sense of smell than humans, so generally aim to use a minimum quantity of essential oil and increase the quantities if and when necessary.

Essential oils discourage the fleas, ticks and other minute parasites. If you shampoo your dog, one of the easiest ways to deal with this problem is to add 1 drop of lemongrass to his shampoo. Most dogs like the aroma and it gives them a nice fresh smell. Large dogs like Labs will require 2 drops. You can also add 4 drops of Lemongrass to 8 ounces of water in a spray bottle - spray the animal, their beds, and furniture and rugs where there may be fleas.

FLEA COLLARS
Most commercially sold flea collars are made with highly toxic chemicals which can be absorbed through the skin of our pets, and us. Cats often cannot bear being near these as they try desperately to lick and groom the area surrounding the collar only increasing the level of chemicals absorbed.

Fleas spend only about one-eighth of their life on an animal, so if the flea has gained entrance into your home via your pet the remaining seven-eights of its life will be spent in your pet's bedding or on your carpet and furniture. Contrary to popular belief, fleas prefer walking to hopping about on their powerful legs, so spotting them isn't just a matter of waiting to see a little high-jumper.

An essential oil collar provides excellent protection against fleas and is very cheap and easy to make. Buy a soft material collar - a cheap one from a market will do --and soak it in the following mixture: 1/2 teaspoon alcohol, 1 drop cedarwood, 1 drop Lavender, 1 drop Lemongrass, 1 drop thyme and mix with 4 garlic capsules OR 2 drops of the following mixture: 1 tsp vegetable oil in which 1 drop garlic essential oil has been diluted.

If you are using the garlic capsules, beak them open and add the contents to the mixture. Blend your ingredients together and pour it over the collar until fully absorbed. Leave to dry before putting around your pet's neck. It should be effective for one month.

Blood is the fleas' only food, but when garlic is detected in it they will leave well alone. Add 1 or 2 capsules of garlic to your pet's diet during spring and summer, depending on the size.

Here's a list of insects and the essential oils that are best to use to control each one. Note that Peppermint - Cedarwood and Lemongrass - just about cover all the insects - Peppermint will also get rid of mice.

ANTS - Peppermint
APHIDS – Cedarwood, Peppermint, Spearmint
BEETLES – Peppermint, Thyme 
CATERPILLARS - Peppermint 
CUTWORM – Thyme, Sage 
FLEAS – Peppermint. Lemongrass, Lavender 
FLIES – Lavender, Peppermint, Rosemary, Sage
GNATS – Patchouli, Cedarwood, Peppermint 
LICE, PLANT – Peppermint,
MOSQUITOES – Lavender, Lemongrass, Eucalyptus, Cypress, Lemon / Orange, Cedar wood, Peppermint, Geranium
MOTHS – Lavender, Peppermint 
SLUGS – Cedarwood, Fir (Pine) 
SNAILS – Cedarwood, Fir (Pine), Patchouli 
TICKS – Clove, Lemongrass, Sage, Thyme
WEEVILS – Cedarwood, Patchouli, Sandalwood

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 10:12 am 

Thank you very much for this helpful information about essential oils. I hope to try this for my dad's cats this weekend!
Nina

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2004 7:13 pm 

Oh, my goodness! Thank you for posting the above information. :D

Post subject: Eureeka!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 2:19 am 

By George, I think she's got it! :D 8) :lol:

I think you may have helped me solve a mystery. I have had an ongoing battle with fleas this year for the first time in many. Because of your post, I realized that it's also the first year I haven't had a lemongrass plant inside in many years. My cats and dog all eat it constantly when I have it in the house. I have to buy one for them and one for me to get any at all... :wink:
I'm gonna hit the herb market tomorrow and get a new plant or two. Perhaps this was the missing ingredient that kept us flea free in years past? Oh what a wonderful surprise that would be! I'll let you know how it goes. I just LOVE experimenting! :lol: :lol:

Kathe