It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:38 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:12 pm 

I have had two cats die (one last fall, one this past weekend) from a tick-borne blood disease called "Cytauxzoon felis" (pronounced catazoon). This disease is carried by bobcats although they are not affected by it; it is spread by ticks and is ALWAYS fatal to domestic cats. We were completely baffled by the first cat's death so we had a autopsy done at Texas A&M Vet School and this is what they came up with. My vet said it was so rare she had to get her books out to read about it. However, after researching on the web, it's becoming more and more common among country-dwelling cats. (We live in a wooded area of Robertson County.) The cat dies within two weeks of being bitten by an infected tick; once the symptoms appear it's only a matter of a few days. We recognized the symptoms right away last week in the second cat. No treatment, no cure. So, my question: WHAT can I use to keep the ticks OFF my other three cats? I need something that totally keeps them off, not just repels after biting. I have been putting brewer's yeast and garlic on their food; isn't helping with the fleas so I assume it won't help with the ticks. If I use Cedarcide, how often do I need to apply it? Daily? Any suggestions would be totally appreciated! (Making them house cats is out of the question; they wouldn't put up with it.) I really don't want to go through this again, it's not pleasant.