It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 5:22 pm 

What can I use on annual flowers to keep rabbits from eating them while not hurting the rabbits :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 1:22 pm 

Try spraying hot pepper wax or garlic pepper tea on the plants. If that does not work, you can repel them with fox urine.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 8:42 pm 

Thank You Organic1, Iwill give it a try :wink:

Post subject: rabbits eating flowers
PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 11:39 am 

I have heard that rabbits don't like nasturtiums. I planted them around my veggie garden but they, the nasturtiums, didn't grow very well this year. ???
Bernice

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 4:53 pm 

organic1 wrote:
Try spraying hot pepper wax or garlic pepper tea on the plants. If that does not work, you can repel them with fox urine.

Nadine:

Two questions please.

1) Wax: How much and do you spray it on hot? Any heat damage to the plants?

2) Repelent: Have you heard anything about using Lion poopy from the zoo to manage wild deer from entering the landscape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:27 pm 
Rabbits are strangely selective about which flowers/leaves from which plants they will eat; but they ones they like, they destroy!! The best rabbit defense is 2-foot (or so) fencing around your beds if that is possible. This is usually more feasible for a vegetable garden than an ornamental garden, but if you have a veggie garden its the thing to do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:19 pm 

We had friends who had rabbits eating their newly planted shrubs and ignoring the neighbors slightly older shrubs. They tried all sorts of repellents including fox urine to no effect. Eventually, they did as Leslie suggested and put a short temporary fence. The rabbits weren't nearly as interested in the shrubs when they got a little bigger/older. Guess they liked the tender new growth. Of course, if you are growing plants, you may not be able to get by with only fencing temporarily.

If you do a search on the internet, you may find some plants that rabbits tend not to eat (not as many as for deer). I did this search for friends, but didn't keep the list. As I recall begonia was on the list.

My thought is that you might be better planting a variety of plants instead of many of one kind. They might prefer just some of the plants and leave the others alone.

Marlyn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2003 1:49 pm 

You can also spray your garden with a product called liquid fence which is an organic deer and rabbit repellant. We sell a ton of this stuff in the Hill Country so I know it works for deer. However, I will tell you that if a deer or rabbit gets hungry enough they will eat anything, including the stuff sprayed with LF.
Tony M