It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Help for a soggy yard
PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:27 pm 

I'm having some problems with my yard collecting water. The drainage guy that came out seemed to think that it would be more cost effective to define the slope in our yard by bringing in more dirt. He however did not refer me to anyone that can do this. Does anyone know where I could find someone that does this service as well as what I would even call it. What should I fill it will as I don't want to just bring in a bunch of junk. I was also wondering if what I am wanting to do would be what they call "grading". A little background, my husband inherited this house when his mom passed recently. The yard slopes back all the way into the back yard and runs into the neighbors property. Well since the yard is uneven we have hills and valleys that gather water and don't let it run off properly. I would really like to have a decent yard and this is the first step. Thank in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:50 am 

You are correct in that it is called grading. You should be able to find clean top soil or a compost/soil blend at a place like Soil Building Systems and they may know a contractor if you dont want to do it yourself. But I would guess that the job would cost you around 2k. We dont do that work here at Moore Tree but there are alot of people who do that work. Drains can be used to solve any problem but if your yard is that uneven it sound like you are on the right path. plus you have the opportunity to add alot of organic material to your soil and help re-build the biology. Good Luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:44 am 

Thanks so much for that link. It was very informative indeed. I'm going to get some exact measurements and get a quote. Thanks a million!