It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2005 2:58 pm 

I have heard several times that President Bush uses an organic program at his ranch in Crawford, but I have never heard any details about it. Does he compost? Use CGM and dry molassas? Has he exposed the root flares on any of his trees, mix up some organic mosquito spray for the dignitaries to spray on before touring the ranch? And does he had a crew to maintain his place organically? Maybe someone at the website could inquire and post some info for us. Providing some details of the Presidents organic program could spark interest in organics in a big way, and maybe swing some folks over to our side and away from the chemicals. Any thoughts?

By the way, just this month I have seen 4 armadillos on my place, and was delighted. If we can get our neighbors to quit spraying poison and to go organic, then maybe our kids will have a chance to see * toads and armadillos, without going to a zoo or museum.
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 7:59 pm 

You can come over here and get all the dillos you want. I get tired of them digging up my veggie plants looking for goodies to eat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2005 10:22 pm 

The last time I heard anything about the gardening approach at the ranch in Crawford, it is Laura Bush who made the push to go organic. I don't find any links that corroborate this, but I think I heard the remarks on National Public Radio. That's one of only a couple of stations I listen to all week (until 8am on Sunday mornings!).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:12 am 

Webmaster, how about you guys doing an article on the organic program used at the President's ranch? I would like to know who runs it and what they use. You may find out they are big Dr Doctor supporters.
Don

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:49 pm 

Last time I spoke with Howard about this he concurred that Laura was the organic minded person. He send her copies of all his books and was awaiting a response. We're going to have lunch next week, I'll try to get an update.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 am 

This would be an interesting topic. I'm not a supporter of the man or his politics, but I am interested in learning how the property is being taken care of. I would like to see a glimmer of understanding that just as all politics are local, the beginning of an environmental understanding and policy is also local.

Northwesterner

Post subject: Prairie Chapel Ranch
PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 12:10 pm 

There have been articles about the energy efficiency and enviornmental friendliness of the Bush residence also, but i cannot recall what magazines or other publications I learned of this info.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 1:45 pm 

Howard said he received a thank-you note from Laura Bush for the books he sent but hasn't had any additional contact. He also said that a friend of his in Waco sells organic products to the ranch and as far as he knows, they use only his products.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 10:31 am 

Good info, Tony, thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 11:55 am 

I was interested to know more about this, so did some searching. I found one article that speaks briefly about the Bush property management. Here is the citation information from USA Today:

Master gardeners grow culture of service; [FINAL Edition]
Alcestis "Cooky" Oberg. USA TODAY. McLean, Va.: Apr 10, 2002. pg. A.15

Subjects: Gardens & gardening, Volunteers
Document types: Commentary
Section: NEWS
ISSN/ISBN: 07347456
Text Word Count 646
Document URL:

Abstract (Document Summary)
This Texas couple -- George W. and Laura Bush -- are among the legions of American homeowners who call on master gardeners every year for their free assistance. Nationwide, more than 60,000 volunteer master gardeners answer millions of gardening questions annually. In Texas alone, more than 4,000 volunteers provided nearly 220,000 hours of community service in the year 2000. They answered phones, published more than ...

Normally USA TODAY charges for archived copies of articles, but I poked around online and found a garden center that has reprinted the article here: http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/228586/

It doesn't tell us a lot about the program they're running on the property, except that they probably have buffalo grass and have saved native plants, shrubs, and trees.

That's a good beginning!

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:20 am 

Posted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This would be an interesting topic. I'm not a supporter of the man or his politics, But I am interested in learning how the property is being taken care of. I would like to see a glimmer of understanding that just as all politics are local, the beginning of an environmental understanding and policy is also local.

Northwesterner

I hope this doesn't become a trend on this forum.
Their are plenty of discussion boards to express your politics!
Jim
:(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 10:01 am 

Excuse me, but I made a simple statement qualifying why I was interested in the subject and moved on. You're the one turning it into an issue. I can read a great deal into your dismay, and it is ALL about your political persuasion, but it does nothing to further the discussion.

Did you have something to say regarding organic practices at the property in Crawford?

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 5:55 pm 

Folks need to lighten up & get a life! A person could get bent sideways from some of the tag lines members use if they thought that it offended them. What does politics, etc, etc, etc, etc. have to do with someones' organic practices ???? If someone is in need of something to do, try answering some of the unanswered posts!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:05 pm 

"And the big Kangaroo said 'Me too!'"

You last two aren't contributing to the conversation, you're chatting among yourselves. Holding a political opinion is not forbidden anywhere, but keeping it in perspective is appropriate.

Meanwhile, here is more information about the ranch. This is extracted from a longer post, dated October 2003, at this site: http://www.grist.org/advice/ask/2003/10/15/umbra-ranch/

To use cheesy magazine speak, the ranch was designed "in harmony with the landscape." To reduce heating and cooling needs, prevailing winds and temperatures were taken into account in situating the building. The house also uses two lesser-known environmentally friendly technologies: geothermal heating and wastewater recycling.

Inside a closet at Bush's special vacation compound, a collection of pipes is thrust deep into the earth, down where the sun don't shine and the temperature is perpetually 67 degrees. Water circulates through this zone and then back up into house pipes to heat or cool the building. The system uses less electricity than conventional heating and cooling installations, but that electricity does come from the Crawford electric grid. The ranch also has a well and recycles its water. Water that flows out a tub drain is known as "gray water"; water from the toilet is "black water." Our fearless leader's holiday home recycles both types via subterranean filtration tanks and uses the resultant cleaner water in the garden.

All in all, the house sounds pretty nice. (For a rich person's vacation home, it's kinda small, and it sure is quiet and remote.)

The article contains some editorial political commentary. That is bound to happen when you're talking about the secluded retreat of a major political figure. The material is posted as I do research to provide information to satisfy my curiosity about how the other half lives, and if they do it in an environmentally friendly manner. That answer appears to be "yes."

Northwesterner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:48 am 

Northwesterner-
Thank-you for your research and perspective.
Tony M