It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:31 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:45 pm 

I read on a different site that if you want the vinegar mixture to work for weed control, it has to be applied in weather that's 70 or above, sunny, and the ground should be dry (that is, not having been watered recently).

I've purchased the vinegar, orange oil, and molasses, and I'm ready to apply, but it's 60 or below outside and I recently watered.

Your advice is appreciated...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:04 am 

I have found that vinegar works best for me when it is warm and bright so the vinegar can burn/cook the weeds with help of the sun. I've also found that if I'm going to spray it on weedy grass that it helps to have mowed the grass or hit it with the weed whacker so I'm spraying on the more concentrated short blades close to the ground - the taller part of the grass doesn't seem to respond as well and if you're spraying on tall grass near other plants you can overshoot what you're spraying. Vinegar kills any foliage it hits.

It may also depend on what you use for spraying the vinegar, how dense the spray, etc. If you have orange oil in it the whole mix is more effective.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:41 pm 

Ive sprayed both warm and cold. It does work better/ quicker in a warm and sunny climate. It still works on cold days though. I'd just make sure the sun is still out.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:47 am 

Can it be sprayed on Bermuda or St Augustine when the dormant season is over?
Or can this only be done when these are dormant?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:28 pm 

Vinegar with or without orange oil is indiscriminant - it will kill anything it hits. It won't kill the grass roots, so if you singe the grass it will return. The point of spraying weeds with it is that when the top dies the root may well follow - grass with all of it's roots and rhizomes recovers if it gets hit.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:15 pm 

Dead bermuda will return faster than dead St Augustine. If you kill out a little St Aug before it spreads in the spring, it might fill in by May. If you kill it after that, then you'll have to wait until fall for it to refill.

I would try to shield the surrounding grass using cardboard and spray only the weeds.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 8:39 pm 

I'm looking for a couple of the threads that discuss vinegar because I have to revise my recommendations: I wasn't able to find 10% or "pickling vinegar" (9 or 10%, various brands, not the Heinz product they call pickling vinegar, theirs is only 5%). I'll have to do some research, or see if I can get a local grocery to order it, or better yet, keep it in stock.