It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:16 pm 

I have used both in the past, but is one better than the other for my St. Augustine? According to their web sites, the Garden-Ville has Houactinite, bat guano, urea, feather meal, K-mag, molasses and humate, and the Lady Bug has Aerobically Composted Turkey Litter, Hydrolyzed Feather Meal, Sulfate of Potash, and Molasses.

Thanks,

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:45 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Garden-ville uses bio-solids in their products and has a closed door policy, so it is difficult to know what they are doing with their products.

Lady Bug has historically manufactured high quality products, but has recently decided to stop supporting our community.

Medina has a quality granular fertilizer: https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... 109&ref=ac

Avenger has a good product: https://gardens.naturalorganicwarehouse ... 354&ref=ac

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:16 pm 

Or for half the price you can use chicken feed (crumble) at $11.00/50 lb bag with nitrogen around 4% mixed with corn gluten and/or molasses.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:18 pm 

I might agree with Bob. If the chicken feed is completely pulverized and does not have visible seeds in it, then go ahead. Otherwise the seeds will sprout and you'll have a forest of weeds. (voice of experience).

This season, because of the cost of grains, I prefer to use alfalfa pellets (rabbit chow). Cost is about $12 per bag and you know exactly what you are getting. I don't like the non-organic, chemical additives in either of first two products listed. Alternatives to alfalfa pellets are soybean meal, corn gluten meal, cottonseed meal, used coffee grounds, and ordinary corn meal. The app rate to start is 20 pounds per 1,000 square feet. Give them 3 weeks to work.