It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:52 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:16 pm 

a few years before finding the Dirt Doctor, I followed the Square foot garden formula for soil. This involved 1/3 peat moss and 1/3 vermiculite. my question is now what do I do with the existing soil? I have turned the soil mix in with the native soil after removing the raised bed structure, and added the recommended amendments. Will continued adding of compost, rock powders, cornmeal and dried molasses + Thrive eventually "cure" the problem created by the peat moss?
Secondly, I don't see why Vermiculite is a problem. The library on the Dirt doctor site doesn't say anything negative about the product and there is no mention of it on this forum that would explain the problem.
any help here?? I look forward to any helpful info and guidance from those more experienced in this. thanks....Pat

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Yes, stay on the natural organic path and the soil will balance and improve.

Vermiculite is OK.

Here is the bed prepartion information: http://www.dirtdoctor.com/Bed-Preparati ... vq3812.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:40 am 

The only 'problem' with vermiculite is that it takes a bunch of energy to make, and you are importing something else in to your system. (and it is inert... no life)

I like to use it when starting seeds. Those bright white clumps show up really well against the black soil, and show me where I planted.