It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:07 pm 

Hi Organic Community,

Upon reading an article concerning our fellow gardners in Austin having trouble legally watering thier plants, I called the folks that handle the code for my Town of Little Elm in North Texas. The Water Bill Dept told me absolutely no watering under Level 3 which we are at, even after I explained that plants, vegetable and foundations have to excluded somehow. I asked her to transfer me to the group that enforces the code and low and behold, here is the REAL deal:

Vegetable and flower gardens, foundations, and new plantings less than 1 year old can be water on any day and at anytime for any length of time as required to maintain them so long as they are being watered by hand. Hose and nozzle, bucket etc...manual watering is fine. I didnt ask about soakers hoses and drip lines (not recommended in our organic program anyway) but i think those two are not allowed since the owner is not there to monitor them.

If we go to level 4, this will change. I was also informed that level 3 is expected to remain in place at least till June. (Let's keep praying for rain people! :roll: )

I hope this helps.

Darryl

Organic since Jan 2010
Crape Mrytles Forever!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 pm 

Do you harvest your rainwater? It is easy and free. Do you harvest your grey water? It is not as easy but also free. I made it through last season using very little city water for the yard/garden. It can be done. My goal this year is to use none.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

Even in Stage 4 there are exceptions for trees and foundations. Anybody that tells you otherwise is lying or not knowledgeable enough to be speaking with.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:02 pm 

If you have a St Augustine lawn, you can try not mowing to get through your drought. Once we started getting rain last fall, my grass (in George West, TX) rocketed out of the ground so fast I could not mow it. Then I remembered my neighbor in San Antonio. She never mowed for 5 years and her lawn lasted through every drought we had with flying colors. So I'm trying that in George West. Right now it is knee high in some places.

You don't have to go to this extreme but what I'm saying is that if you find the rains coming less often, St Aug grass should be as tall as your spouse and neighbors will allow.