It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:24 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Weeds in the Lawn!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:13 am 

The weeds and I are at war... and the weeds seem to be winning. Our neighbor does NOT take care of his yard and his little weed friends march right over to our side garden and our lawn and make themselves right at home. Allll sorts of weeds! You name it- they've invaded our st. augustine grass.

What can we do? Also, i read a post from the Dirt Dr that talked about using garret juice and thrive on the lawn- but i dont see in the directions how to apply this to such a large area (quantities etc) - I'm also afraid this will not only be good for the grass but good for the weeds... not sure what to do!

Post subject: Re: Weeds in the Lawn!
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 2:01 pm 

You may have to take several approaches. To start, read up on Corn Gluten Meal and Crabgrass Killer. Spot spray weeds (or general application in winter when grass is dormant and weeds are out) with Vinegar Weed Killer.

Poke around in Howard's Natural Organic Library for tons of more answers.

As one of those folks with a weedy lawn, I try to do my neighbors a favor by keeping it mowed so the weeds don't go to seed, but I have so many other things to do with my time and money than hunt down weeds. If you've ever seen the old one-panel "Pluggers" cartoon, you may have seen the one I clipped years ago with the caption "Pluggers know that mowed weeds look just like turf." :)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:50 pm 

I had that same problem and now I mow my neighbor's yard know and fertilize it too(just the small part that's next to my yard,about10'x50'),a he's been real impress with that side of his lawn. :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:23 am 

When you take proper care of your side, there are very few weeds that can move into your turf. Water infrequently, mow at the highest setting, and fertilize several times during the season. Look at the lawn forum and the weeds forum for more help on this topic.