It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:18 am 

I have a LOT of trees in both my front yard and my back yard, and I wanted to use all the fallen leaves for something. I just recently bought a leaf mulcher and have been shredding the leaves. It's like a weed eater turned upside down with a large funnel shaped thing to feed the leaves into. It works great and makes a medium size shredded mulch.

I wanted to use the shredded/mulched leaves in the flower beds just like a regular mulch, but wanted to know if there is anything different I need to do other than just spread it around the existing plants like I would hardwood mulch. I was thinking of putting it in at about a 3" depth.Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:43 pm 

returning these leaves to the land is a good idea....

depending on the size of the mulched cut, the leaves will settle and mulch quickly....another benefit is that they won't blow as easily when mulched.

i used to cart away about 7-10 bags each from my 2 burr oak trees. now i simply mow the leaves, and layer them into my landscape beds, and into my raised garden beds to over winter.(i turn them into the soil as i plant seeds, and remulch before summer).

you may find that placing 6" of leaves today will give you 3" of leaves in March...