It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:58 pm 

soil anaylsis of garden shows to be excelent, (TAMU). I have tomato vines with lush, abundant growth. However, the tomatoes are small, few, and will rot before ripening. I have tried several varieties and none produce as should. I have two rows of tomatoes, 48" apart, and the vies cover approx. 20 feet in width. I WANT SOME TOMATOES, not so much vine.! any suggestions.

Olfogey

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:37 pm 

What was your exact bed preparation? Also what fertilizers were used?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:11 pm 

tilled into heavy black soil 1 bale of praire hay soil is at least 7 ft deep, river bed soil, no fertilizers used. It was suggested we use some epson salt, but did not help. This is second year running, with the same results. tomato location rotated from previous year. used bloom set to try holding blooms, :?:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:50 am 

I love to prepare my tomato beds with lots of rich homemade compost (before and after planting). Then I sprinkle in a handful of bone meal for extra phosphorus and calcium for fruit development. I also use corn based protein fertilizers for tomatoes for extra nutrients in the soil for beneficial soil microbes and as a natural fungicide against future fungal diseases that tomatoes usually get.

Happy Gardening!

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:03 pm 

North Tejas, right?

Couple points to consider:

1. Weather: The weather has been very variable and we've had (depending on when you planted) some very hot weather and some very cool and damp weather. I had some blossom drop on a couple of the recent chilly nights.

2. Variety: For my second planting I have a variety of things going. The BHN 444 (heat loving, disease resistant) has done well as have the Sunmasters I planted in August. Recently planted Early Girl is taking off.

3. Nutrients? What you describe is typical of too much nitrogen and not enough o the other stuff. You said you did not fertilize? I'd fertilize, we are running out of warm weather and I have a sinking feeling we're looking at an early freeze soon

My second crop of tomatoes is a little slow too, the weather has been damp and cool and that just isn't a winning formula. We need some warm sunny days, cool nights and more evenly dispersed precip. So first thing, have a chat with God about this weather. Tell him we'd like it around 80/60 with .5" of rain every third day, preferably in the morning, followed by nice, dry, light breezes in the afternoon.

On the bright side, If you would like a few thousand peppers I have a "Little Shop" scenario going with my peppers which have never, EVER, produced like this year. I have one Tabasco pepper bush that is about 7' high, 4' wide and has several hundred peppers ripening per week.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:50 pm 

you are right, the soil tests have an abundance of nitrogen. phosphate was a little shy of normal, every thing else exceeded the norm (?) what ever that might be. I am having thoughts that the phosphates are bound up in the soil in such a way as they are not releasing. I have tried pruning the vines back to "force" feed the tomatoes that are there, to little avail.

Thanks anyway. :shock: