It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:17 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:38 pm 

I am a first time homeowner and have been working on an organic program since moving in early last November. Thank goodness for Howard's books and this website! When I moved in, the two year old yard (originally Bermuda sod) was in a state of extreme neglect; weeds far out numbered the patches of Bermuda and the two live oaks planted by the builder were dead. I immediately removed the trees and planted an Autumn Blaze Maple and have spent the spring and summer weeding, spreading lots of good amendments, and learning.

My problem is that beginning in mid-April the maple started dropping leaves and looking generally unwell. The leaves seemingly dropped overnight, more so on the top than the bottom, and the rest of the leaves have brown, crispy spots and edges. Although things don't seem to be getting worse, its not getting better despite my efforts with Garrett Juice weekly, corn gluten meal (just what goes over the tree when spreading for the yard), and watering for an hour once a week. I am about 30 minuets north east of Austin, the tree gets full sun and has had zero synthetics since bringing it home from Lowes.

On a side note, the Bermuda developed brown patch last week so I have been treating that with Serenade.

I hope my pictures work. This is my first post here, thanks for all the help this forum has provided thus far!

Attachments:
phpKwxNWIPM.jpg
phpKwxNWIPM.jpg [ 167.15 KiB | Viewed 6173 times ]
phpjjquvuPM.jpg
phpjjquvuPM.jpg [ 113.25 KiB | Viewed 6165 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:27 pm 

Many newly planted trees experience some degree of transplant shock. Once the leaves brown a little around the edges, they won't go back green. Keep the plant moist and don't let it get too dry.

I have multiple maples, and some of them went 75% brown with only the inner area remaining green their first summer, and the following year 95% of the leaf remained green. So I bet next summer you'll see it more acclimated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:05 pm 

Update: Sadly this tree did not make it. Things kept getting worse, dropping more leaves, browning of the rest. I babied it as far as I could afford including the Sick Tree Treatment and a trip to the Natural Gardener in Austin with pictures and sample leaves. The best we could determine it was just plain stressed! The folks at NG told me this tree is not very fond of alkaline soil and is not very heat or drought resistant, it also dosent tolerate over watering. They also said they really arent suited for my area but of course Lowe's is happy to sell you one. I decided to keep trying since it was a housewarming gift.

It was planted during a drought, in a limestone area, the next summer stayed damp with weekly rain and then finally gave up the goat during the record 2011 summer drought.

At the very end it developed a white fungus near the base of the trunk which I treated with Serenade and Howard's remedies but by that point I just think it was too far gone.

Can anyone recommend somthing else I might of tried? Any insight on this tree or the fungus?