It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:13 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2003 10:42 pm 

O K , Gang, I'm a Newcomer, so bare with me !! My wife presented me with a handful of peach pits she'd had in a drawer for about TWO YEARS!
She said "Plant 'um". Advise, PLEASE !!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:02 am 

Well....

Very often growing a tree from the seed of fruit you got at a store will not yield the same fruit again, nor the same tree. The reason is that the fruit we get is generally from grafted trees. It's one kind of tree from just above the root flare downwards, and another kind from there upwards. This allows for different size/productivity/variety.

So, technically you can plant a peach pit and try to grow it. You'l end up with a peach tree but it's kind of anyone's guess about what the fruit will be like. Sure it'll probablky taste fine, but don't expect it to be exactly the same.

If you knew what variety of fruit it came from you'd have more success in making sure it has a propper polinator.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.