It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:16 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Red Oak Brark Pealing
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:12 am 

I have a red oak I planted about 12 years ago. It was a 30 gal tree whent I planted it) It is growing very well and seems to be healthy -- up until about 2 months ago. Now the bark on the South West side of the tree is starting to splinter / fracture and peal off. There is a white substance on portions of the damaged areas. This has happened to other trees I've planted.

I tried to upload a couple pics but they are apparently too big for the forum.

Anybody have any ideas on what is going on given my description?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:34 am 

If the photos won't load to the forum, then put them someplace like an account on Photobucket or Flickr (you can get those for free). They let you share images (you paste in the link on the dirt doctor form, and when it is highlighted, click the Img tag, it should show up on the page or at least take someone to the photo in the other account. If you can modify the photo so it's not huge, but about 1000px wide or less, then it won't take over the whole page when it displays.

Meanwhile, take a look at the guides for tree planting and the sick tree treatment.

If you didn't use this method to plant your trees, then you may need to make sure they aren't buried too deep in the ground and do the sick tree treatment. If the roots are circling and girdling, you'll have to call an arborist to come help with the job.