It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:21 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:19 pm 

I have three live oaks and two red oaks all with some damaged bark about 6 - 12 inches from the ground. I've searched the internet but have been unable to find anything like it. It doesnt appear to be insects or fungus (at least to my very untrained eye). Someone that was working on our fence looked at it commented that it looked like rodent damage. (see attached photos)

They are young trees and have only been in the ground a year. I used tree gators on them throughout the summer and tried to water every week to two weeks. I live in North Fort Worth and our soil is clay and mostly limestone so I know it doesnt drain well. I do have another red oak that seems unaffected. I consulted with the landscaper that planted them and he has never seen anything like nor could find any information about the condition through his research either.

Is anyone out there familiar with this type of damage/condition?

I appreciate any insights, I'm at a loss.

Attachments:
RedOak2.jpg
RedOak2.jpg [ 129.58 KiB | Viewed 10237 times ]
LiveOak2.jpg
LiveOak2.jpg [ 141.88 KiB | Viewed 10238 times ]
LiveOak1.jpg
LiveOak1.jpg [ 122.17 KiB | Viewed 10237 times ]

Last edited by Lalena on Wed May 02, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:21 pm 

Here are the other two tree photos. I should note that all trees have leafed out and otherwise seem ok.

Attachments:
LiveOak3.jpg
LiveOak3.jpg [ 114.39 KiB | Viewed 10234 times ]
RedOak1.jpg
RedOak1.jpg [ 120.09 KiB | Viewed 10234 times ]

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:03 pm 

I can tell right now from the photos that they're all buried too deep. There are no root flares showing, they all are straight out of the ground like posts. That is damage in your pyhotos and there may be treatments (sick tree treatment, tree trunk goop) but you first need to carefully pull the dirt back from those boles at the bottom and let the flare (which is part of the top of the tree, not part of the roots) be exposed. It's like they are smothering right now.

The damage you are seeing could be because the trees are vulnerable because of how they were planted.

Tree planting the wrong way

Root Flare Management

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:27 pm 

Thanks for the info! At the suggestion if another source I have already removed the dirt to expose the flares. I was also told to dress the wounds with this tree wound dressing (it was like spray tar). I hope I didn't mess up already by doing that. :(

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:24 am 

[slaps forehead]

Tar is not good for it. Look up the tree goop recipe. And also use the sick tree treatment, an overall approach to making the tree healthy.

Library

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 6:32 am 

I should clarify that it was pruning seal, not tar...just looked like it. Regardless, thanks for the info and I will try the "goop".

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:37 am 

It seems that commercial products for trees were designed by people who didn't understand health and physiology of trees.

I did a search - on the product I found (Tanglefoot) I can't see what the ingredients are in the pruning sealer and tree sealer, but the products are categorized as "asphalt" and "latex." Not Good. Do try the tree goop and sick tree treatment.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:32 am 

I regret using that product on the trees now that I've read more about it. I trusted the individual who told me to know what they were talking about. Lesson learned - research, research, research before using anything I'm not familiar with!

Hopefully I haven't doomed the trees with that mistake, I'll be trying all the things you suggested. I'm knew to this, never had "new" trees before and I've just started my first organic garden this spring (well, first garden ever!). This site has been a great resource that I see myself utilizing often in the future. You have been very kind to give advice and it is truly appreciated. =)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:22 pm 

I had a redbud that was hit really hard by straight-line winds a few years ago. It was loose in the ground, and it had been planted (from a 5 gallon pot) about 5 years earlier. I called Howard's program and he described the sick tree treatment - the amendments, foliar feeding, aerating, I did all of it. And it came back like gangbusters. (I did finally have to remove it because a second storm did even more damage - that tree was "snakebit" from the start). If that second storm hadn't hit, it would still be looking lovely beside my driveway.