It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:05 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Arizona ash problem
PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 9:18 pm 

I know junk but came with house, along fruitless mulberry[killed it] and silver maple. Leaves on the arizona ash are curled and some are 3 times bigger than they should be. one tree has had a third of its branches die.
At the base there is foam coming out. Bark is coming off at base. Root flare is in correct place, not below ground.
Trees will probably die, but would like to know why.
Now I need to know what to replace them with. I live in Arlington Heights
just west of downtown Ft Worth. Soil is thin over and mixed with white rock. The soil drains quickly. I have to plant a Magnolia tree because my wife wants one and it will stop her from planting a weeping willow or one of those trees with pink fuzzy flowers. Any suggestions on varieties of Magnolia and other appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2003 8:31 pm 

senegaltictac-
Don't waste time doing any detective work on why the ash is dying, our native trees won't be affected by whatever is killing the ash. Drive around your neighborhood and see what trees you like and which are doing well. Take a camera and post the pictures on this forum if you want us to ID them or got to a nursery like Green Mama's. Also, look specifically look for a magnolia growing in your area. Just because your wife wants one doesn't mean the tree will cooperate. If you put a tree in a spot where it cannot thrive you have created a long term problem for a short term gain.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2003 10:35 am 

There are good alternatives for two of these in the same general species. For the Arizona Ash you can plant a White Ash or a Texas Ash. They may not be as good as the Texas or White Ash but even a Green Ash will do ten times better. As for the Maple, Shatung is a great choice. Nice fast grower, but isn't weak wood and short lived like the silvers are.

The fruitless mulberry will make nice shredded wood mulch and that's all the good I can say about it.

It is not our part to master all the tides of the world, but to do what is in us for the succor of those years wherein we are set, uprooting the evil in the fields we know so that those who live after may have clean earth to till.