It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:47 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:07 am 

I have a Shantung maple that I planted about 3 years ago and it has yet to grow any. It is still producing healthy leaves all over and acts fine otherwise. Could there be a root problem? What should I look into to fix the maple and get it growing?

Also I just pruned the base of the tree for the 1st time today which has a lot of growth down there, and there are fire ants nesting at the base.

I'm in the Dallas area.

Jason

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:40 am 

Is there a way that you can post a picture? The new growth on Shantungs is typically a purple or coral color. They can grow year round.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 6:08 pm 

Well maybe it is growing very slowly. It does have coral color growth coming out of the ends of the branches. Heres a pic.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:38 am 

I am no tree expert but I remember when I planted my Shumard Oak and Sweet Gums in the yard. After a few years, I was convinced I had done something wrong since there was very little growth (that I could see above the soil). I am glad I did not do anything drastic because after those first few years, these trees began to grow like wild.

I have always followed the organic approach and tree planting recommendations (not too deep, compost / mulch around the base instead of grass, etc).

Give it some time and see what happens. You will behappy you did.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:05 am 

That coral growth is new growth, so it's probably fine, just still trying to get established. If you want to pamper the tree, there are countless things you can do, first of which is to mulch its root zone, coupled with reading up on the organic treatment recommendations on this site.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:27 pm 

That tree is fine. I would not prune this at all. If it was not planted from seed, then you would want to uncover the root flares if you have not done so. Keep the weed eater away from the tree. This is a really good looking young maple from what I can see. I bet this tree "shoots" this summer if you leave it alone. :)

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2010 1:14 pm 

The new growth on Shantungs is typically a purple or coral color. They can grow year round.