It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Trees to use for Privacy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:03 pm 

Our neighbors recently built an addition that is next to our fence and overlooks our backyard - every inch of it. We'd like to plant some fast-growing trees or shrubs that are native to North Texas to hide the addition. I read through the Thulja trees thread here but only saw mention of a Burford Holly. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Lisa B.
Grapevine, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:57 pm 

You could do native red cedars, but they take a long time to grow if you dont water them all the time. I know this sounds typical, but I have a friend in the same boat as you, and he planted a nice row of tall growing white crape myrtles 4 years ago, and they are AWSOME. They made an ultimate screen and they are only dormant for about 3 to 4 months out of the year. I think he said they were Natchez?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:23 pm 

Dirt Face, thank you so much for your suggestions. I think the crepe myrtle idea is a good one and I love crepe myrtles anyway. I'll check out the Natchez white ones, and thank you again so very much.

Lisa B.
Grapevine

P.S. Really thought I had a little insect running around on my computer screen (lol)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2010 4:08 pm 

Natchez are a tall variety of white crepe myrtles. If you want variety, you can check out the list at Crepe Myrtle Trails of McKinney. They have an upcoming sale that you should check out.

http://www.crapemyrtletrails.org/

For a friend's house on a corner lot, she had a narrow strip of parkway, and I planted 4 tall variety crepe myrtles spaced at 15' on center. I wanted 4 different colors, so I chose:

Natchez: White
Tuscarora: Pink
Muskogee: Lavender
Red Rocket: Red

If I had room for 5 (and I probably did), I should've also gone with Twilight (tall purple). Anyway, good luck, but be aware that crepe myrtles are not evergreen. There's really not a reliable "quick" evergreen option. But if you wanted to try something, the Teddy Bear Magnolia is a compact, narrow Magnolia variety that is more attractive than the Little Gem, but is smaller than the true Southern. It'd be perfect for this situation, if you had the time to wait on them, although you can find 6-8' plants commercially at Calloways.

I
I