It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Post Oak Tree
PostPosted: Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:05 pm 

I am building a house in Denton County (Oak Point) on an acre lot with many post oaks. One mature post oak is within three feet of the future slab foundation. I can pivot the proposed foundation to increase the distance to maybe five feet. I would like to save this tree but I've heard that post oaks don't do well around construction and wonder if it's worth the trouble of pivoting the foundation if the tree will most likely die anyway. Any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: Post Oak Tree
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:10 pm 

I'm sure it's too late, but we have 2 houses in Erath County that have probably 5-7 Post Oaks within 5 feet of the foundation. It is true that they are sensitive, but you don't want to underestimate them either. Of course ours being pier-n-beam is quite a bit different than a concrete slab, but I'd rotate the house anyway.

Also, if you have mature post oaks, PROPAGATE them! I know that they're not found commercially; however, I have had better success than expected in using their acorns. Post Oaks are without a doubt the best oak of Texas, and it's time we begin to replace the thousands that have been lost due to human activity.