It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:15 am 

I would wait till mid September at the very least. Chinese pistache are tough trees but I would let the tree get off to a good start by planting in the fall. Also, are you sure you want to plant a Chinese pistache? If you are that's fine they are beautiful tough trees, but I prefer native :). I have had a lot of success with Shumard oaks and Caddo maples. I planted a large caddo maple 2years ago. The first year didn't grow more than 4 inches but still produced a fiery blend of orange and red. This year it grew 3 feet with little supplementary watering!!! I was really surprised; it has became my favorite native. Good luck on whatever you choose to do! :)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:17 pm 

I always like to diversify. CPs are great trees, but so are Ginkgos, Shantung Maples, etc. If you have space, I'd go with an oak (Chinquapin, Burr, etc), Magnolia, or Texas Ash, and if you wanted something a little different, you could experiment with an Italian Stone Pine, Dawn Redwood, etc.

But I'd definitely wait until around October or later. A 15 gallon tree planted in 100+ degree August heat is going to experience shock 95% of the time.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 9:39 am 

Excellent choice. If you have the time, peruse the Metro Maples website. Those are good people.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 9:16 pm 

smkeeth wrote:
We lost a Red Oak tree in our front yard to high winds in a thunderstorm on August 6, and we have removed it. (The trunk was thin, and I am not sure that it was a type of Red Oak well adapted to the Dallas area. It was planted in October 2008 by a contractor hired by our homebuilder.)

Is it OK to transplant a Chinese Pistachio that we are thinking of purchasing (it's in a 15-gallon container) to the same spot in our front yard in this hot weather? :?: Or should be wait until the weather has turned cooler? :?: We will, of course, plant according to the Natural Way, and we plan to use both Garrett Juice Plus and Thrive as root stimulators.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.