It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: High prices for organics
PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 10:13 am 

I bought some organic chicken legs and they were double the price of other chicken products.
If something is grass fed or natural no chemicals added, why is the cost so high?
I was at a regular grocery store.

Also, we live in Springtown. Is there a place to buy the grass fed meat products around here? :? :?

Mary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 9:34 am 

Yes I notice that on some produces. I just think them as higher and better value and healthier than just expensive. :roll:
That is one of the benefits of having your own organic garden, and being ground crew member.
Actually, if you stop buying the "others" and buy good quality food the grocery bill will go down(I'm actually talking about me :oops: ),especially when you have your own garden.

Tree Dude

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:41 pm 

I think it's high because they know people will pay it.

If you really care about what you eat, what are you going to do but pay the price. They understand this and take advantage of it in my opinion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2006 11:51 am 

I agree to some extent, but I don't think the cost is entirely inflated. The cost for good quality organic feeds is high. I have egg and now meat chickens, and I have recently found that we have no sources of organic grains and feed in Texas. And the price to get good quality raw ingredients to make my own feed is very high. While the chickens get a lot of their food from my fields since they free range, chickens need additional feed. Now that I have my own chickens, I can better understand why organic products cost more.

To reduce your cost, buy whole chickens. After you bake and eat them (or debone them) make broth from the carcass. To make the broth, simmer at a very low temperature for a very long time (24 to 36 hours) on your stove top in a heavy pot with the lid on. I use a Le Creuset pot. I stuff my chicken with onion, lemon and fresh rosemary which I leave in the carcass. You need to be sure to add something acidic when making broth to pull the minerals from the bones. If you have gotten a good quality chicken, you will get an excellent broth. Use the broth for soups or as the liquid when you make rice.

I was just reading in Joel Satalin's book about pastured chickens and learned that commercial confinement raised chickens are about 10% by weight fecal soup which is absorped in their fatty meat when chilled during processing. You do get what you pay for typically.