It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:57 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 4:14 pm 

I am still having problems w/ my lower leaves on tomato plants turning yellow....I have used the plant wash, have cornmeal in the ground, etc...any ideas on how to control it?

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 11:03 pm 

Tell us about the place where they're planted. Where are you? And is this a new bed, an established bed, a pot, and what grew there before (on that spot)? What have you done to the soil so far and in years past? I'm asking because it seems very early in the year to have yellow leaves already.

When you water, are you getting the plant wet, or just the ground beneath it?

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 7:35 am 

I'm in North Texas.....the plant that is experiencing problems is in a large pot.....we have had a lot of rain and when i do water, I water the dirt only....I have used 1 tbls of corn Startch to a gallon to spray my plants....I have even used a plant wash

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 9:37 am 

I don't know about the cornstarch--what is that supposed to do?

How is the drainage in the pot? Wet feet might make a tomato as unhappy as getting too dry. Have you used a wand like Howard describes (a golf club without the club works for this--if it's a big pot, move a bit away from the plant itself and push the wand in--you'll be able to feel if the soil is moist enough or too moist or compacted and dry.) I have sometimes found in pots that if the top dirt is compacted at all that water runs down the sides of the pot and out the bottom, and doesn't really get the contents wet. All things to consider.

How's the flower and fruit production?

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:15 pm 

thanks....I actually have a 1 1'2' soil tester for moiture...the problem is early blight....I've been growing maters for 30 years...I was hoping someone had a "for sure" product for early blight.....flowers and fruit on this vine are exceptional....it's a grape tomato....our problem is 8" of rain in the last week and a half....good problem most of the times! thanks for all of your assistance!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 6:48 pm 

In addition to the corn meal drench and Plant Wash, you might also apply a Neem product. It is an anti-fungal made from the bark of the neem tree (India). It is sometimes a bit hard to find, but look for it in anti-fungal (organic) products. I am seeing Early Blight or Southern Blight in some of my tomatoes too. Usually does not rear its head until the temperatures get consistently hotter.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 7:39 am 

I have used neem in the past and a friend of mine who grows LOTS of tomatos uses nothing but...fortunately in Dallas, we have no shortage of organic products.....thanks again

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:42 am 

A note for anyone reading this thread who isn't familiar with NEEM--don't apply it on a hot day or it will fry whatever you're treating.

Ask me how I know. . .

Do it during the coolest part of the day, and if possible when it isn't going to go over 90 during the day. I know, that's difficult, and possibly impractical. I'm just very cautious since I nailed a tree with it. Maybe someone who uses NEEM a lot will pop into this thread and give some more specific guidelines to using it.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:09 pm 

Neem can burn!.....never had a tomato plant get burned but when I used it, they were well rooted and established....it can harm certain roses......I am testing it on my pea crop because of the overwhelming aphids.....shot 4 plants this morning as a test.....my buddy who uses Neem is in Houston where 90 degrees is the norm....I think if you use it at dusk, it will do the trick...