It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:35 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:20 pm 

I am building a home on 5 acres in Argyle this year. The area has very red, loose, sandy soil. Most of the land has been used for hay so there is not a wide plant community at this time.
I would like to hear from others who live in that area and what types of plants/trees that have worked well for them in that environment. I want all the usual suspects; mostly native or adapted, with flowers for butterflies and hummers or with fruit/seeds for birds. Of course, spring flowering trees and fall color are also high priorities. Post Oaks thrive in the area and I have a few of those already growing on my property.
For the last 15 years I planted in the deep clay of southern Dallas and northern Ellis counties, so this soil is new to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 4:43 pm 

Give my friends Cary and Beth a call at Main Street Home and Gardens. They are up in Decatur which isn't too far from your new neck of the woods.

940-627-0235 . They are wonderful people and I'm sure they can give you some good suggestions for that area.

214-348-EDEN (3336)
Your Paradise Found

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:04 pm 

johnrsurvil wrote:
I am building a home on 5 acres in Argyle this year. The area has very red, loose, sandy soil. Most of the land has been used for hay so there is not a wide plant community at this time.
I would like to hear from others who live in that area and what types of plants/trees that have worked well for them in that environment. I want all the usual suspects; mostly native or adapted, with flowers for butterflies and hummers or with fruit/seeds for birds. Of course, spring flowering trees and fall color are also high priorities. Post Oaks thrive in the area and I have a few of those already growing on my property.
For the last 15 years I planted in the deep clay of southern Dallas and northern Ellis counties, so this soil is new to me.

There are great plant recommendations for this area in Howard's book "Plants of the Metroplex".

One thing about the sandy soil is that it does not retain moisture. It would be beneficial to add as much lava sand as the budget allows. It seems strange to add sand to sand, but lava sand (not actually sand) has tiny crevices that hold water. When the surrounding area dries, it pulls out the water from the lava sand.

Another great source of information: www.seedsource.com.
Regardless, you can be the envy of the neighborhood with the organic practices and native plants...a great way to spread the word!

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach