It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: cotton burr
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:59 pm 

Hi,

I'm new to organic and have been reading alot on this site. I just moved in to a new house and have raised bed that I would like to amend the soil. I've done a little research on differnt products and like to use cotton burr made by Back To Earth as my compost and mulch. I figure I need about 25 bags of this, and it cost about $5 for 2 cubic feet bag. Does anyone know where I can find cotton burr for less? I don't have a pick up truck and most places that does bulk charge a delivery fee, and minimum order is 3 cubic yard.

I plan to also amend the soil with wheatbran, cornmeal, molasses, expanded shales and greensand. Is there an inexpensive commercial product out there? It kind of expensive to buy the product individually since I don't need that much ( some of the products come in 25lb bags ).

Thanks ahead for your advice.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:23 pm 

Welcome to the natural way! You are very wise to follow these principles. Here is to your health and your happiness!

How large is this raised bed? You might be surprised at how much it takes for a bed. It seems like so much effort to mix each of the products, although it would serve you well. However, it is not necessary to add every ingredient on the aforementioned list. If I were you, I would find someone with a truck and go in on a cubic yard of a good bedding product from a place like Soil Building Systems.

Where is it that you live?

Again, the size of the bed would be quite helpful in determining what it is that you could use if you decide not to split a cubic yard with someone. The length, depth, and width would be helpful.

Again, many others and I are happy to have you join our passion in sustaining life in the soil while sustaining our own as well!
:D

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach