It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 8:49 pm 
:cry: Mr. Garrett, is there ANYthing you can do to help us? Urgent: We have less than 10 days! I have been crying & my husband is so very angry. We desperately need a letter of support from an expert. This has been brewing for nearly 5 years now. One-third of our front yard is Lindmeier muhly grass that my husband has kept somewhat shaped less than 3 ft tall surrounded by perennials & some bermuda grass. Our backyard has been recognized by the TX Parks & Wildlife Diversity Program as a "Texas Wildscape Backyard Wildlife Habitat." Because a neighbor has trapped a rat after seeing it eating his bird seed, the City now requires us to cut our grasses to 6 inches, labeling our grasses as "offensive to the senses," a "nuisance," "weeds," "overgrown vegetation," "harboring rats, snakes," etc. The City has been receiving complaints about our xeriscaping since we've lived here. With all the TV ads, the written articles by experts about the need to xeriscape with native plants to save water & help the natural ecosystem, these folks haven't chosen to adjust their thinking. After so many yrs, we feel like our sacred space is repeatedly threatened, especially since the City also wants us to cut the grasses in the BACKyard! Thank you so much for your consideration.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:48 pm 

How about posting your location? Just from reading this, the reader has no idea what "city" you are talking about.

Furthermore, I can't understand the relationship between a rat in your neighbors yard and your yard? :? Is the neighbor saying the rat is living in your yard? Is that factual? If it is, you must remedy that situation immediately, if not, I'm still trying to make the tie in.

If, as you say, you have a Texas Parks and Wildlife certification, perhaps you could present that document.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:22 pm 

I over looked this most interesting post from mid-August asking for Howard's help.
I've moved it to the Gardeners Exchange Forum so maybe more views are taken and commented on.
Perhaps an attorney is a member here or some other knowledgeable person may be able to shed some light on the question.
As I read it, the City made an ASSUMPTION about the rat's home and that may come back on them.
Wish I'd seen this post early on. :oops:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:16 pm 

[quote="W Leung"]:cry: ...Our backyard has been recognized by the TX Parks & Wildlife Diversity Program as a "Texas Wildscape Backyard Wildlife Habitat." Because a neighbor has trapped a rat after seeing it eating his bird seed, the City now requires us to cut our grasses to 6 inches, labeling our grasses as "offensive to the senses," a "nuisance," "weeds," "overgrown vegetation," "harboring rats, snakes," etc...quote]

You say your yard is recognized as a "TWBWH" -- is it certified? You can find out more about getting it certified by contacting the TX PWDP. Being certified, you have a lot more leverage. From what I understand, you can even stop the city from spraying for mosquitoes in your neighborhood! Let me know if you need any further information on this.

I regret that I did not see this sooner. What is the current status?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach