It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:12 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: geraniums
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 4:41 pm 

I am wondering if anyone out there has the same problem that I do with my geraniums trying to get them to bloom. They bloom but not all the petals bloom out full then they just die back after the ones blooms out that has opened up. I have put mircle grow on them and water them frequently. Thanks if anyone knows anything about why these might not be fully opening. They are in morning sun afternoon shade and are pretty and green in color. Thanks for anyone advice on this problem!

Tjwansley@cablelynx.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 6:31 pm 

Well, first off stop using Miracle Gro. Remember you're in an organic forum and Miracle Gro doesn't qualify at all. You're forcing too much nitrogen and other synthetically derived nutrients into your plants with that stuff and throwing their growth cycle off. Sounds like they're nutrient deprived.
Spread some compost and cornmeal around their roots, about a cup or 2 of each, work it into the top layer of soil and then water that in. If they're not mulched, mulch with some shredded hardwood or cedar just up to the edge of the stem. A foliar feed of Bioform liquid(the best), fish & seaweed and some garlic pepper tea ought to put them completely to rights in a short period of time. You probably have some thrips or other insects causing problems too but this program ought to get rid of them and keep them gone. If not, get some ladybugs and let them loose. HOpe this is helpful. Welcome to the world of organic gardening!! :lol: