It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:11 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:10 am 

Just had to share the photos from this Q & A.

Q: I have a 15 year old Bur Oak and have planted trees from the acorns from this tree. I have noticed what appears to be flowers on some of these trees. Is this normal male/female? I also noticed one of them 5 feet tall and had red leaves this fall. There is a Red oak next door could it be a cross breed? GG., Grand Prairie

A: Bur oaks, like all trees, have flowers. The oak flowers happen during warm periods in the winter and early spring. They are hanging catkins that are usually dirty yellow to brown. If crossbreeding was done, the results would have been in the acorn you planted. The tree doesn't change after it is growing. Red fall color on a burr oak would be very special and something that could be reproduced through stem cuttings.

Attachment:
Burr Oak Flower33333.jpg
Burr Oak Flower33333.jpg [ 24.09 KiB | Viewed 3835 times ]

That’s either the most deformed oak flower ever or not a flower at all. It may be an unusual gall. It’s one I’ve never seen but that’s how nature is. It also may be a mutation from all the toxic chemicals floating around. I’m only half way kidding. If a gall not to worry. Make sure the root flare is exposed, use the Basic Organic Program and the tree should be fine. I hope it’s OK if we use your photo.