It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bald Eagle
PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:34 pm 

I just read in the Lakewood news that a bald eagle has been spotted (pictures on their site) on White Rock Lake.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:05 am 

Cool - a pair of Red-shouldered Hawks just zipped by my backyard, it would be great to see a Bald Eagle some day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:23 am 

Last winter I was in West Salem, Wisconsin and was amazed by the hundreds of bald eagles flying around and sitting on the frozen Mississippi. They were so numerous that after awhile you get used to the massive birds flying overheard (although I never really did). Many times I almost drove off the road because I was looking at them all around me. Unfortunately I didn't have a camera with me that trip!

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject: Bald Eagle Days
PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:53 pm 

A few years ago, we lived in Northeast Missouri. The Missouri Department of Conservation has an annual event called Bald Eagle Viewing Days. They go around the state in January and February giving presentations on the Bald Eagle. They have a Bald Eagle (I believe one of the only ones allowed in captivity). The Eagle was a rescued chick that had been released successfully, then hurt, rescued again and was never able to be rereleased. He kept going to people for food. Now they use him for teaching purposes. When we saw him, he was just getting his white feathers. He was magnificent! We actually got to touch him.
Anyway, they set up binoculars on stands along the Mississippi to watch the Eagles catch fish in the river and view an active nest. The community hosting the event sets up different vendors along the way. It is a very cold, but great event. We went a few times. I don't know if the captive Eagle is still alive. But it was great to see them fly along the river. If you find yourself going that way, it would be worth the effort to check the Missouri Department of Conservation websight to see if they are having the event where you are going. The next event is on the 21 in Salem Missouri.