It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mud-grass nest?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2005 7:47 am 

We have a nest in the eaves of the porch of our shed that is built of mud & grass or it looks like that. What kind of bird is it? We have seen it-gray with longer 'tail' than a sparrow, a little larger, & maybe the male has a crest? This is in NE TX, a little east of Bonham.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2005 2:01 pm 

From the sounds of it, I would say it's probably a barn swallow. I have them at my house every year.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2005 7:14 pm 

Hi Patty,
I have had barn swallows for years. They are very colorful........when you can see them from a short distance. Not a problem here. Years ago I put up 'shelves' for them under my porches. Three years ago in the winter I spotted a bird that had not previously been here. It was in the winter time and was seen swooping across the pool for water. Stayed and turned out to be Phoebes. Took over an old swallow nest, rebuilt and had family there.
Swallow nests are very neat......small same size 'bricks of mud' all stacked like bricks on a house. Phoebes nests are messy, irregular and has grass hanging about in and about. The Phoebes are still with me....year around. The barn swallows leave usually in early Oct.
Both birds are a welcome resident of the garden as they scoop insects from the air. I like to look at Enature.com. Go to birding and easy to identify any critter from that site.
Hope this helps.
Brenda

Post subject: mud nest
PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:45 am 

Hi Brenda-
I bet this is a Phoebes! Will go on that website & take a look. the nest is NOT neat like bricks but messy & they started to build in several places, or it looks that way-several little 'dobs' of mud/grass on the ledges b/4 the one nest was built. Then saw 1 broken egg (small & white shell) a coupole weeks ago & now we can't tell if there's anymore activity. Thanks for the info-
Patty

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 7:59 am 

I believe by your description that you have an Eastern Wood Pewee. Two of them, what appear to be a male and a female, have begun building a nest on our porch also.

We have had barn swallows attempt to build on our porch also. However, they are quite noisy and they are numerous on our property so we discouraged them from building their nest by spraying 20% vinegar around the area they were attempting to build.

These are the first Pewee's that we have ever seen. They are mostly quiet birds, so my wife and I have decided to allow them to build their nest. Especially since these are the only two we have seen. It is fun to watch them build their nest through our windows.

Mine look like this, does yours?

http://enature.com/fieldguide/showSpeciesGS.asp?sort=1&curGroupID=99&display=1&area=99&searchText=pewee&curPageNum=3&recnum=BD0278

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 1:22 pm 

I photographed the nest on our porch. There are 5 eggs! The male lingers around now and then. The female does not have a large crown as the male does. I will attempt to capture a photo of the babies after they hatch. My wife put out some hair from our hair brush. She said the female found the hair within 30 minutes.

I haven't been able to take decent photos of either bird but if I do I will post those also.

Image Image

Post subject: mud nest
PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:56 pm 

mainman-
That's what we have! Or had, the next weekend we went to our land, the birds were nowhere in sight & the weekend b/4 we saw at least one baby in the nest. I doubt it grew big enuf to fly so I would imagine a preditor got it. The nest remains, so maybe they will try again. Such a neat little bird! Thanks so much for your pictures.
Patty