It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Fans
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:42 am 

I am trying to save energy during the summer. I have a large, old Victorian home with 10ft ceilings. We use most of the rooms each day and some rooms we use constantly. Fans make my 78 degree thermostate setting feel more comfortable. Can I just leave the fans on all day or do I HAVE TO turn them off while not in each room to get an energy benefit. I generally turn the fans off at night except in the bedrooms. Also is it worth it to buy some extra fans to really get the wind blowing in my house if I can bump my thermostat up to 79 or 80?

Which is more energy efficient: ceiling fans or pedestal fans?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 3:43 pm 

I am no expert on fans but I have installed a lot of them, have researched them some, and have a lot of them (I live in a barn) so here are my opinions: In the winter I believe they should stay on all the time as they will keep the heat pushed down to warm the floor, walls, etc where you actually feel it-this warmup does not occur instantly but is a byproduct of sustained air movement for long periods of time. During the summer you could go either way; if the fan is in a room that is exposed to the cooler night temperature(open window?) then the air circulation may discharge some of the heat stored by the solids in the room making the room cooler the next day. It could also be argued that this difference may not be noticeable and the fan motor actually contributes heat to the room plus the heat will accumulate up high where it is less noticable,so it should be off when no one is in the room. The amp usage I have checked on ceiling fans is generally much, much less than pedestal fans -but unless the fans are really old they will only use pennies a day either way. Also, the fans will be much more efficient if you mount them about 18" below cielings - if they wobble get a weight kit but if you buy the better quality fans they usually dont wobble. If you want to see a really big difference by using a fan, install a thermostatically controlled attic fan-cheap, easy to install, and they really work. Something I have noticed is that the manufacturer suggestion on fan direction are not all ways the best-try your fans in both settings in all seasons-some of my fans work blowing down year round. Hope this helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:39 pm 

I've been told by the experts that a fan does nothing for the room or the temperature in the room. The breeze it creates makes you feel good for several different reasons. The advice I got was to shut them off when you are not in the room. Kinda like, "will a falling tree make a noise if there is no one there to hear it?"
That said, I like the points DD brought forward and they make sense to me.
Tony M

Post subject: Re: Fans
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2011 5:07 pm 

I relize that this is an old post ,but you might look into Solar power Fans,their not that big,about 12 inches accross,but their not gonna cost you $$$ for someone to install.
Try www.northerntoolcompany.com :wink: