It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:42 am 

I am in the Burleson (South Fort Worth) area of Texas. I'm 27 years old and about a year and a half into a lawn maintenance business. I'm one of those who started the business with a borrowed push mower and one shrub trimming job. Now it has turned into about 35 residential accounts and two commercial jobs. I have a customer base full of amazing people, and would like to offer them the best service that I can. Most of my peers seem to be very open to organics, and in fact some of the people my age have approached me requesting organic treatments on their lawns. I actually worked for one of the chemical companies over the winter as a lawn technician and it opened my eyes to a sad reality. Shortly after this experience my mother (a big fan of Howard Garrett and organic gardening) paid for my membership to join the ground crew and now I am basically looking for a mentor whose brain I can pick. If there is anybody in my area that could be of assistance or knows of a person or resource that could be helpful in my quest to learn more I would be very grateful for the help.

Thank you,
Terry Cashion
817-925-4642
terrycashion@gmail.com

Post subject: organic gardening club?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:56 am 

Hello everybody,

Does anyone know of an organic gardening club in the Burleson area? Also, does anybody know off hand of a college or university that offers a curriculum geared more toward organic landscape maintenance? Or maybe even a seminar? Or a landscaper who devotes their energy to natural methods who might be willing to mentor somebody?

Thanks,
Terry Cashion
terrycashion@gmail.com
cell: 817-925-4642

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:48 am 

How's this for an idea? Let's see who besides you would be interested in a seminar on the commercial applications of organics. There are probably some Ground Crew members that would be interested in helping. This could be the first step of setting up a school on organics. I would be happy to be the leader at first and our non-profit organization, TORC, could also get involved as we have always intended.

More and more companies are getting interested in taking the organic route and it might be time to get the educational system underway. Let me what you - that goes for everyone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:19 am 

I think a seminar would be a great opportunity! Maybe an informal round table or something to that effect would be a good starting point. If there is any way that I could volunteer my time to help recruit support for your idea please let me know!

Thanks,
Terry Cashion
817-925-4642
terrycashion@gmail.com

Post subject: run this idea online?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 11:46 pm 

By putting this idea online would open the opportunity to a much larger audience. In this part of the country there is little to nothing going on in this field. I would jump at the chance to learn more from the cutting edge.

Post subject: great idea
PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:11 am 

Using the internet would be a great idea since most of us in this line of work commercial or not have a lot of time restraints. Sort of like the distance learning courses colleges offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:51 am 

tcashion
I think the internet would be great and a class would be good also. How are you doing on setting up your organic program? I am working on improving our program here and have found that there is much more I need to know. While I will not pretend to be a mentor, perhaps we can share notes and learn together.