It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Lizards
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 12:31 pm 

Hi,
I am an organic gardener in spite of it seems like almost everyone around me! In light of this I guess the lizards love my yard, and I love watching them as well as the huge variety of birds that frequent my backyard. I m not an original Texan, so have never seen a horned toad, but we have a large number of "horned" lizards and I wondered if anyone could help me identify what type of lizard it is. It has spikes starting right at the top of the head and they split and follow two black lines to the back of the body, which is then covered with spikes right down to the tail. It is tan and black and has bluish spots on the neck. It almost looks checked on a quick glance. I have never been able to photograph one close up, but have seen one in binoculars. It is a pretty fat lizard, and they get pretty big. I have seen one at least 10-12 inches. The closest I can find a picture of is a california horned lizard, but the face is different and mine is not as fat.
Thanks for your support!
Debbie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 6:59 am 

It is very similar except on mine the body is not as fat, and the markings are a little different, as well as having a much longer tail. I have been searching online for something that looks like our lizards for a couple of years. The face is longer too. But the spikes are right on! D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 11:20 am 

Google Western Fence lizard
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 1:24 pm 

Based on the blue marking, size and "spines", I'd agree with Tony and think about it being a "spiny lizard", not a "horned lizard".
Look for the Sceloporus species.

Sceloporus olivaceus - Texas Spiny Lizard

I've not seen a fence lizard as large as the one you are describing.
Sceloporus sp. - fence/prairie lizards

Regards,
Patrick Ferrell
I'm not a real herpetologist, but I play one on the internet.
Allen, Texas

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:26 am 

That's it! These are the coolest looking lizards and so fun to watch! If you can catch them in persuit they will actually jump in the air after a bug or moth. I have seen one very large one in the past years, I'm waiting for him to come around, but most are between 6-10 inches, and some are even more spiked than the picture. We have several different lizard species, one other cool one is blue and sort of purple striped, and smooth, no spikes. But I dont see many of them. I have also seen lots of great birds and other animals here. I would have never thought I would see so much unusual wildlife in my backyard in Denton Texas!
By thw way, what is a Copper Headed RattleMocasin? That sounds like something I should know about!
Thanks for the information! If I ever get a picture I will post it!
D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:50 am 

Thanks for sharing your "bounty", I'm glad we were able to help. Enjoy your lizards, whatever their name, because not all of us are lucky enough to have them.
Tony

Post subject: lizards
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:05 pm 

The last photo has been identified to me as a tree lizard, if is correct who knows. I also got some new informaiton it is a Texas Spiny Lizard. I do know that I have been watching them for past 20+ years. They do like trees a lot. They lay their eggs in my garden. One year I was digging to do some planting and I found the eggs. They were not in one place but scattered. By the way the sand was very very hot at the time.
During the past 3 years, I think, we have another lizard in our yard and I have positively identified in as an Green Anole. Yes it is very green but it can change color. It like trees and bushes. Loves to jump from leaf to leaf as well as climb trees. It has a pink throatfan that really shine when the sun hits it.
Thanks for bringin up the subject. I was glad to have the chance to share this with everybody. Just joined recently, like today.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:16 am 

tpgdebbie wrote:
That's it! These are the coolest looking lizards and so fun to watch! If you can catch them in persuit they will actually jump in the air after a bug or moth. I have seen one very large one in the past years, I'm waiting for him to come around, but most are between 6-10 inches, and some are even more spiked than the picture. We have several different lizard species, one other cool one is blue and sort of purple striped, and smooth, no spikes. But I dont see many of them. I have also seen lots of great birds and other animals here. I would have never thought I would see so much unusual wildlife in my backyard in Denton Texas!
By thw way, what is a Copper Headed RattleMocasin? That sounds like something I should know about!
Thanks for the information! If I ever get a picture I will post it!
D

I bet the smooth one you're talking about is a 'skink'. We have them at our land, 8 mi east of Bonham. Some have orange heads. So fun to watch & the dog loves to chase them.

Patty