It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:34 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: How is everyone?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 8:52 pm 

How is everyone?

I have been buuizy. I have been training my gelding for a show in November.

I wanted to update those that have previous interest about our little church in Malone, Texas. The trees are growing well. Cliff and I need to get out there and search for some more root flares but overall we've only lost 1-2 trees. The catalpa tree planted by some of the regulars of this forum has faired extremely well. Also, many of the shrubs planted benefited from the constant rains over the summer and since they are drought tolerant, will likely need little assistance to continue their growth. The cemetary grasses are looking better. Lots of mowing can really help to curb the propogation of those tall grasses. One item I need to push is the fire ant control because organic controls are so effective.

Well that's about it. If you want to visit the church's website here is the reminder. www.salemlutheranchurch.net

What are you guys up to? I will lurk a little more probably since "The Dirt" is online now. I'm gonna miss curling up in bed with my Dirt. Remember I'm up for projects.

See yuz around. :wink:

Pam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 3:07 pm 

Hey Pam, it's great to hear from you. I am glad the catalpa tree is doing so well. We planted it high... I wonder how much it settled...?

Did the Ginkgo make it? The beating it was getting from the line trimmer/weed whacker was pretty severe.
I am trying to remember which tree I let all that compost tea leach out on. I'll have to go look at my pictures and try to figure it out.

Thanks again for the update. I'll let y'all know if there are any projects that come up.

Kathe? Gar?

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:07 pm 

I second what Nadine has said. It sure would be nice to have more people take part in these adventures. It is a great learning experience as well. Both Kathe and Nadine are great teachers and mentors. To be honest, I had no idea of what we we up against before our first trip to the cemetery. It was great meeting others that post on this great forum and also Pam, here family, and some of the congregeration of the church. It felt especially wonderful knowing that we 'saved' this wonderful country cemetery from those awful chemicals. After we finished doing our work, we went looking at the headstones. Some of them date back to the early and mid 1800's. You can just imagine what life must have been like back then. Pam: thanks for the update on how it is doing. I can just imagine how well the tree that Nadine and I helped Cliff plant is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 5:55 pm 

Just to let you know... Here is an opportunity in Azle.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/forum/viewtop ... 2423#22423

I am having to pass on this one, but thought I would share. :wink:

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach