It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:22 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:11 pm 

My name is Ken. I have lived in Allen, TX, for over 16 years and have been using organic methods in my lawn and landscaping for 10 years or so. I think the results have been quite worth it. I have geckos running all over the place in the summer. I don't have many grub and other pest problems any more in my lawn and only limited problems with fungus when I don't get my applications down in time! Although I get fire ants, I don't get near as many as my neighbors.

After being laid off from an IT company, I retired and started looking for a new job. I was a programmer and a project manager for over 15 years. I also served 22 years in the USAF before that time. After several months of being told I was overqualified for sales positions or clerk and admin positions, etc., I was sort of discouraged. I just needed something to supplement my retirement income, so I decided to buy a job (business). To make a long story short, I eventually found and am now buying a small tree farm in central Oklahoma. I certainly won't make a commercial out of this for now!

One of my aims is to use organic methods on the farm and encourage my clients to use organic methods as I complete the landscaping projects that come my way. I have about 50 acres on the farm with 30+ in production now. I have the opportunity to add another 50 acres to my farm in the next two years.

I look forward to the information and advice that people can give me to make my methods more successful.

Post subject: tree farmer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:41 am 

klj-
Good luck to you! What an awesome endeavor. Where in central OK? I see several postings from 'OKians' so I'm sure you'll get some help. Soil is different from our black clay but probably easier. Tree care is probably similar.
Patty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:58 am 

Thanks, Patty! It's REDDISH BROWN! The soil is actually reddish brown, not black. It trenches easily and beautifully and still holds together. After 15+ years here, I was beginning to wonder if soil was other than black, gooey clay.

I thought I would keep my location secret, so to speak, so that I can keep my purposes here to seeking information for a while. Anyway, I am still in the purchase process.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:07 am 

klj--

Welcome aboard, and congratulations on your new business venture. I look forward to hearing about your success!

AustinGroundCrew