It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:11 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:47 pm 

Howdy yall;

I am gardening in Little Elm, Tx. I love growing my own food but I still have lots to learn. I followed Howards plans for a couple of years and then health problems kept me out of the garden till last year. By then my garden was growing really great tall grass so I had to start over again. Which is not necessarly a bad thing as I was able to move everything to a much better location and am starting a little smaller than the first time. This time I am using the square foot gardening technique and so far so good. Except for the bunny that ate half of it before I could last year. This year I have invested in some fencing that will hopefully stop that. I tried cayenne pepper and baby powder las year but my bunny thought they were some kind of great seasoning put on there just for him!!

I have just harvested my first lettuce and spinach for a salad for dinner tonight and have planted cabbage, kohlrabi, onions, cantalope, watermelon and cucumbers. I had the best luck with my cucumbers last year growing them vertically. The bunny never touched them, I guess with such nice soft foods a scratchy cucumber leaf was easy to pass up!

Anyway I have a question. I love Rhubarb and my cousin in Illinois is sending me some of her roots to try. I know it is suppose to be hard to grow here so I am looking for any tips on where to plant it in the yard and how to care for it in texas.[/color]