It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:20 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:35 am 
I live in NW GA and can only find 5% acidity vinegar. The Lowes in our area have never heard of it but said if I can come up with a product name or item number they would try ti help. In the mean time, could 5% vinegar be reduced to 10% by heat or evaporation? Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 11:39 am 

Call around and ask for pickling vinegar, it should be 9-10%. I get mine at a local grocery store.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:41 pm 

rozwho@vei.net wrote:
could 5% vinegar be reduced to 10% by heat or evaporation?

Tomc answered best on the pickling vinegar. Sure, it's possible to concentrate ordinary vinegar; practicality is a different question. Distillation, vacuum or otherwise, additional acetic acid production through fermentation, and freeze concentration are three approaches that come to mind. I don't believe boiling vinegar will work to concentrate it because of the azeotrope effect, and evaporation "should" have the same drawback. I've not tested that myself, though.
+++

I've seen a reference that the Lowe's SKU # for the 20% product is 156464, under the brand name "Nature's Wisdom," but I can't vouch for that personally. If all else fails, you're really desperate, and you know how to handle it carefully, you might be able to buy glacial acetic (99%) at a local chemical supply store, then dilute it to fit your needs.

Last edited by Enzyme11 on Wed Jul 21, 2004 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:39 pm 
I have checked all the local grocery, drug and feed stores. No one has anything but 5% acidity vinegar. Lowes does not have it but said to get them a label name or item number and they would try to help. thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:45 pm 

http://www.garden-ville.com/Liquids/20%25_Vinegar.htm

You can get 20% vinegar from Gardenville (a texas company), and it should be much easier to dilute that to 10% than to increasing it from 5%.

I think the Lowe's in Austin carries some of the Gardenville products, so at least the corporation has some relationship with them.

I'm not sure if they would ship it directly to you or not.

Post subject: Vinegar
PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 11:00 pm 

5% vinegar is 5% acetic acid and 95% water. So by reducing the 5% by approximately half by evaporation you will get the equivalent of about 10% vinegar. So says my sis the chemistry teacher, anyway. I'd bet it's close enough! Do keep asking about pickling vinegar, though. I know there are plenty of grandma's, aunts and moms who still make their own pickles! She says use a container with small holes, because the acetic acid will evaporate some, too.

Lowes doesn't carry Gardenville products :cry: but they do have a selection of organic products :D in Texas, Louisiana and in the northwest US. They also have organic products interspersed with their regular materials all over the U. S. They're not marked organic, but they have ingredients such as neem oil, boric acid, pyrethrum, diatomaceous earth, etc.

I have sent a message to CaptainCompostAL to see if he might know of some places nearer you to recommend. He is the compost moderator on this forum and located in Birmingham, Alabama, a LOT closer to you than Dallas or Austin!

Good luck and best wishes! :wink:

Kathe

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:46 am 

rozwho-
There HAS to be a feed store somewhere near you!? Check yellow pages for 'Feed" or "Farm store"?
Plano Patty

PostPosted: Wed Jul 21, 2004 6:18 pm 

Well, the Captain replied today and he can't help. I guess he's too far away, too.

My next suggestion would be to ask anyone you know who pickles or cans. They should have at least 10% vinegar around. Go to the local farmer's market and look around for canned products; they should be able to direct you to a pickling vinegar source. Ask nice and buy a couple of jars to say thank you! Besides, a farmer's market is always fun to visit!

Good luck! I hope you are successful!
Kathe :D

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:59 am 

Kathe & rozwho-
I looked under the other heading for gardening etc & found this website 'cited'- www.agorganics.com Actually, Kathe, I think you had recommended it. They have 20% vinegar, "Nature's Wisdom" brand for $13.99. Not too bad a price even w/shipping.
Plano Patty

Post subject: Vinegar in Georgia
PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 12:56 pm 

Yes, AG organics can ship 20% vinegar if you order on the net.
I should have mentioned it before! I guess I've been doing too much typing!!! :roll:

I just keep thinking that at least 10% pickling vinegar should be available ANYWHERE. Ah well, at least we all tried to help.

Kathe