It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:42 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Garrett Juice and Neem
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 10:45 am 

Hi all. I'm brand new here (< 1 hour) and have browsed a bit in hopes of finding an answer to my question, but no such luck.

For quick background, I'm new to gardening -- this will be my third season, and I'm brand spanking new to organic gardening. This will be my first attempt.

I live in Keller, TX, just north of Fort Worth and have a small raised plot, about 4' x 22'. You'd be surprised what you can yield in that small space, though!

Anyway, my question is regarding Garrett Juice and neem. I had a horrible problem with cucumber beetles last year and am now convinced that my "inorganic" approach was not helping matters. I became sold on neem and bought some and plan to use it.

Reading Mr. Garrett's literature, I also plan to use Garrett Juice on my plants. Why not, right?

My questions, then are:

1. Can I mix the two in one container and still get the benefits from both? It seems like the respective approaches are very different between the two products, and I'm not sure if mixing them is appropriate. Then again, it may not matter. Anyone know?

2. Assuming I cannot mix them, is there a preferred order of use and time delay between applications? For example, should I spray Neem first, wait three days and then spray the Garrett juice?

Thanks in advance for any feedback. I'm very excited about the coming season.

Chris Hamel

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 2:05 pm 

Welcome, my friend!

Yes, you can mix the two. However, organic gardening philosophy is to build up the soil first, and all your plants' health needs, attract and breed beneficial organisms, and then apply any form of natural pesticide as a last resort.

So applying Garrett Juice after the neem oil application is the best idea.

Sugary teas is great way to build back the beneficial microbes on plants and in the soil, after using any natural pesticide.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

Post subject: Neem
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:16 am 

When we say neem are we talking about a commercial extract of the neem oil or the cold pressed neem oil.

I have been able to find nothing but the highly processed neem oil that barely resemble neem oil any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:17 am 

When we say neem are we talking about a commercial extract of the neem oil or the cold pressed neem oil.

I have been able to find nothing but the highly processed neem oil that barely resemble neem oil any longer.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:22 am 

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 6:39 am 
This book is one of may favorites for vegetable gardening and helped me become all the more interested in dirt and how to make it healthy.

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/view_book.php?id=10

I have just ordered Howard Garrett's latest book and I'm sure that one will be helpful as well.

Happy gardening!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2004 7:27 pm 

Not sure why I showed up as "Guest" but the above response was mine. -

Good luck! - Susan

Post subject: Good Book
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 12:18 pm 

I mentioned in another thread that I actually bought this book. It's very good and does a great job of mixing the philosophy with the mechanics of organic gardening. I think it's just what the doctor ordered. Thanks!