It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:01 pm 
I am having a squirrel problem. I need something to get rid of the squirrels but that would not hurt my dogs. I am wondering if hot pepper spray would work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:11 pm 

Have-A-Heart traps work. Then you can drive them to your neighbors and release them.

Or you could build a trap to drown them right there on the spot. Write back if you want directions.

Post subject: Trap
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 8:27 pm 
Please give me directions for the trap. There is one squirrel I must get rid of as it is somehow getting into my kitchen.

I wish ther were some home remedy that would repel other squirrels so that it would not get to the stage of them breaking into my house.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 5:53 pm 

This works on the theory that squirrels are greedy and cannot tread water for very long. :wink:

Get a tall Rubbermaid bin. I'm thinking my 18-gallon bin might be too short, so maybe something like a 20-gallon or even a trash can would work. Fill it half way with water and sprinkle some sunflower seeds on the surface. Then lay a piece of wood like a shingle or something across the edge and into the center of the bin with the other end resting on something that the squirrel can walk up to. Maybe if you set it next to some steps or big rocks if you have any. Then sprinkle a few sunflower seeds on the board out to the center of the bin. The board should be somewhat horizontal.

Hopefully the squirrels are not myopic enough that they can see the seeds in the water. One writer reported catching as many as 15 chipmunks in one night with this arrangement. :shock:

Post subject: squirrels
PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 6:03 pm 

:lol: Boy, I really hope you people don't encounter Kathiec or ghochs. You will get a boat load of c*** that is not even rational. Good luck ! :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:05 pm 
I had tried a trapI bought but so far he has taken the bait every time and not set it off. I called animal control and they have traps which they will lend so I will try theirs(which I hope work better than the one I bought) as well as what you suggested.

Post subject: squirrel problem
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:04 pm 
Finally after 2 weeks of trying, I got the squirrel trap to work. I caught 4 squirrels in 2 days with it. One thing I was doing wrong was setting the latch that holds the door too tight.

I hope the squirrels like the new location they were moved to!

p.s. I found that fox urine is widely recommended as a squirrel repelent, apparantly with mixed results. I have got some but it is too early to tell if it works. It is supposed to work better at repeling new infestations of squirrels rather than existing ones.

Post subject: squirirals
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 8:42 am 
ok question here on the fox urine .... How do you get that :roll: had to ask :lol:

Post subject: fox urine
PostPosted: Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:48 pm 

There is a message somewhere on this site regarding fox urine. Don't know where, sorry. Several feed-garden stores and catalogs carry it. Mayby someone else can help. Do a web search in the meantime. If I find the source, I'll let you know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2003 4:51 pm 

Academy, Bass Pro Shops, Wal Mart or any other store with a hunting department will have fox urine.

Post subject: Red Fox Urine
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 5:28 pm 

In Dallas, you can get the Greensense Red Fox Urine at Rohdes. Just got a bottle to get some squirrels out of my attic. This will be an interesting experiment: fox urine distributed with a super-soaker. Let you know in several days how well it worked.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2003 6:19 pm 
It's not good for the squirrels to be moved to a new location. They typically don't live long away from home. It is far far more humane to killl them on the spot.

If the fox urine does not work, I will be very surprised. But it is futile to release squirrels.