It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:33 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Making Liquid Seaweed
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:12 pm 

I am a big fan of the Garrett Juice mixture after seeing what it can do for plants and trees. A few questions, can you make your own liquid seaweed??? Just a thought. I am now making my own compost tea, and was curious if this is possible. Calloways apparently doesn't carry the liquid seaweed in Arlington anymore. I assume you would use dried seaweed and soak it like any other "tea". Where would you find it if this is how it can be made????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:27 pm 

Do a search on Maxicrop. They have liquid concentrate as well as powder. I'm sure there are others, I happen to like and use Maxicrop.
Tony M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:41 pm 

Mikey, there are many stores in your area that carry liquid seaweed. You can search/look on this site for stores, etc. Make your own if you think it's better. It is much cheaper to buy the prepared products.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:33 am 

I followed that trail a few years ago. It led me to a seaweed producer out of Canada. They sell it in a 40 pound bag/box. The price with shipping was way out of my league, especially considering how little I would have used. If I had a cattle operation that would be the way to go for a seaweed supplement.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:28 pm 

Yes, I make my own version of liquid seaweed tea.

I buy several packs of edible fresh or dried seaweed from local oriental grocery stores. I soak this stuff in a 5 gallon bucket of rain water, plus I always add a few ounces of dry molasses. I let it soak and rot about a week or more.

The molasses adds extra potassium to the already potassium rich seaweed tea. Also molassses is a powerful biostimulant to help speed up decomposition and add microbial action to the anaerobic tea.

I always dilute the seaweed tea at application before using as a foliar spray or soil drench.

This anaerobic diluted seaweed tea works even better when I add a few cups to a rich aerobic aerated compost tea recipe brew.

The entire Kingdom of God can be totally explained as an Organic Garden (Mark 4:26)
William Cureton

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:57 am 

Mikey wrote:
I am a big fan of the Garrett Juice mixture after seeing what it can do for plants and trees. A few questions, can you make your own liquid seaweed??? Just a thought. I am now making my own compost tea, and was curious if this is possible. Calloways apparently doesn't carry the liquid seaweed in Arlington anymore. I assume you would use dried seaweed and soak it like any other "tea". Where would you find it if this is how it can be made????

You can find agriculture quanities at Watson Ranch Organic.com They may have gallon or 5 gallon quantities?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:33 am 

After reading aboug seaweed teas , people are buying edible seeweed. Is there a reason i cant go to the beach pick up some seaweed or bull kelp grind it and use fresh or fresh dried seaweed?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:47 pm 

rsurdk, if you live in Texas it is illegal to remove seaweed from the beaches. The reason they use is that it removes sand from the beaches. I can think of several more important reasons to keep the seaweed in place, but they use that.