It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:12 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Bt placement
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:18 pm 

Ok, here is a tough one.

I am a Master Gardener is Brazoria County. Our setup has many sections, some of which include a 1) Organic vegetable garden (the one that one other person and I control and teach out of) 2) Native plant garden 3) Many small vegetable gardens, each about 3'x3' 4) a large vegetable garden, about 150'x100' 5) a tropical garden about 50'x50', and several other plots.

We have problems in our gardens just like anyone else but we try to learn what is good for our area and recommend those things to others in the community.

Well, the other person and I have really impressed the other Master Gardeners with the growth, output and health of our garden. We only use things like Diametacous Earth, Molasses, Liquid Kelp, Fish Emulsion, etc. and our garden is the biggest and best out of all of them.

So, to the point, the main person that runs the big vegetable garden wants to put Bt on that garden to control several pests like tomatoe hornworms, and the such. But, several people are very upset that the Bt might kill the caterpillars, that evolve into beautiful butterflies that are so found of their flowers.

So, how much would Bt affect other flower gardens that are about , about 100' feet away, by killing the good bugs?

Any thoughts on this predicament?

Post subject: Re: Bt placement
PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:36 pm 

Quote:
So, how much would Bt affect other flower gardens that are about , about 100' feet away, by killing the good bugs?

BT isn't a problem if you are careful and don't broadcast it. Even 10 feet away would be fine. I've been using it on my tomatoes and peppers but still see butterfiles in the flowers in the yard. I add it to the watering can when I'm doing a drench of the plants (using a mix of Garrett Juice, fish fertilizer that helps keep spider mites away, and BT). Either sprinkle this over the plants with a watering can (it gets the soil also this way--BT affects eating caterpillars, but if they're starting from the ground under your plants maybe they won't have a chance to take more than a few baby bites) or foliar feed topcially.

If you add BT when you do foliar feeding then use a gentle spray (I use a little 1 1/2 quart sprayer with a hand pump knob on top, and stay very close to the plants) then only hit the plants you want to treat.