It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:53 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 pm 

I've inherited these; don't know what kind of apples they are except Red.

One tree, which happens to be right next to water hydrant (suspicious) has bright yellow spots all over the leaves. I've been told it's a cedar rust? They said last year even the apples had dark spots on the skin, but tasted good.

I've fertilized with Yum Yum, sprinkled with mycroizal fungi, sprayed with Garrette Juice Plus and added potasium bicarbonate and thrown out hort. cornmeal. Not ALL this was done at once, but has been done over the last couple months; haven't seen much change.

There are a couple other apple trees with the same spots that are further from the hydrant; I've moved the hose away from the tree.

Any suggestions what this is or more ways to combat it???

Thanks,
Robin in MO
Bringing organics to MO

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:02 am 

Mulch heavily but away from the trunk of the tree. By heavily I'm thinking a foot deep or more. This will ensure your soil is kept at one temperature without drying out. Soil microbes love it under there. As a bonus you may never need to water the trees again.

Are the tree roots buried completely or can you see the "flare" of the roots out from the base of the tree? Tree roots should be exposed at the base of the tree.

You might spray the canopy of the tree with milk or liquid seaweed every 2 weeks. Spray every surface of the trunk and leaves. Set your Ortho dial sprayer to 3 ounces per gallon and pour the milk into the container undiluted. Ortho makes a tree sprayer so you might need that one. It has a longer nozzle.

If you're doing what you are doing and the apples taste okay, I'd tend to overlook the minor imperfections in the tree's appearance.