It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:00 am 

Please help me with my mosquito problem! I have Nandinas all around my yard and the blood suckers seem to be hiding in them in the droves! My question is, can BTi be used to control these guys? Can BTi be used as a spray, if so, where can it be purchased? I know about "Mosquito Dunks", but is there any other form of BTi? I have cedar mulch in my beds. My yard is under a canopy of trees and it is hard to grow some of the beneficial herbs in my beds. Please give me some direction!

What is the best thing to control mosquitos in and around the yard. Can BTi be used as a spray, if so, where can it be purchased? I know about "Mosquito Dunks" being BTi, but is there another form of BTi? Please Help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:55 am 

The BtI (Bacillus thuringiensis "Israelensis) products are for standing water to keep mosquito larvae from living long enough to become adults which is when they are able to bite.

The Texas Bug Book by Howard Garrett and Malcolm Beck suggests spraying adult infestations with garlic-pepper tea, Garrett Juice plus citrus oil, and Garden-Ville Fire Ant Control. I have had good luck with spraying orange oil and water (2 oz orange oil per gallon of water, but be careful not to hit the beneficials with it. I once sprayed some on a gecko by accident and I felt really bad.

You can use an herbal repellant such as essential oil of lavender. There is also a great product to repel mosquitoes under the Cactus Juice line. It is available at many places including Redenta’s. I am a mosquito magnet and the Cactus Juice works great! I use the lotion after a shower then the spray during the day as needed. The website for the product is: http://www.cactusjuicetm.com.

There is also a product called the Mosquito Magnet. It is acceptable in an organic program. http://www.mosquito-trap-depot.com/ has different models from $1295.95 to $295.95 with free shipping.

The Laws of Ecology:
"All things are interconnected. Everything goes somewhere. There's no such thing as a free lunch. Nature bats last." --Ernest Callenbach

Post subject: Mosquito Problem
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 11:09 am 

With a shady yard, Skeeter D'Feeter is a great solution. This is a citronella spray that you use every 2 weeks or so and it works very well. It's available all over the place in Dallas/Fort Worth and it's easy to use and smells nice. From experience, I can tell you that the longer you use it, the better it works. As the larvae are killed in their moist hiding places and the adult mosquitoes are no longer around to lay eggs, the population decreases. The adults are deterred from entering the area by the citronella. It can be sprayed on plants, fences, patios, trees, etc. with no ill effects. It won't hurt to coat your nandinas. Just don't spray it on glass as it leaves a biodegradable but cloudy coating. I agree that Cactus Juice is a great personal product and have used it myself for a few years but I'm not familiar with a broadcast version. If you can't find Skeeter D'Feeter locally ask your organic gardening store to order it. You could also add a layer of the finely ground horticultural cedar on top of the mulch around your nandinas. That will help repel them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 5:03 pm 

Ricky: Lowe's carries Skeeter D'Feeter in a hose end bottle or a concentrated solution if you would like to make it in a pump sprayer. Either way you use it will send those guys away.