It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: OVER GROWN HORNETS
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:20 am 

:lol: HI CAN ANYONE TELL ME HOW TO GET RID OF BIG HORNETS WHO BURROW IN THE GROUND OF MY VEGETABLE GARDEN. :roll: I REALLY WOULD LIKE TO HAVE A GARDEN AGAIN :P SO ANY SUGGETIONS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 4:29 pm 

Wait till night time when all the hornets are in the nest. Use a drench of Garden-Ville Fire Ant Control formula or a strong orange oil and water mix. Use red cellophane over a flashlight to see what you are doing. Apply at night and seal the hole in the ground with a heavy bucket or large rock.
Tony M

Post subject: HORNETS?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 5:38 pm 

These "hornets" are actually benefical wasps. They do not bite unless provoked (you darn near have to beat them). I would leave them alone; they eat bugs! Yes, they are large and can look scary; should not hurt you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2003 7:39 pm 

If you HAVE to kill them you can do it the way Tony M says; I have used that method effectively. If you don't have to kill them, maybe you can chase them away with citronella. That works in a repellant manner. If they are cicada killers, which burrow individual mounds instead of communal burrows, they are beneficial and you should let them live and help you if you can work it out. I know they can be annoying and even make threatening fly-by's but I've never met anyone who has been stung by one. You might be at risk of grabbing one in your hand as you dig in the soil, though. Glad I don't have this dilemma to deal with. Best of luck!