It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:04 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Webs in my live oaks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:43 pm 

Webs in my live oaks making them not flourish as they should. They are very sticky webs and they contain tiny spiders (not worms). I got on the roof and tried spraying to the tops with Neem and it did no good.

Yes, I HAD a lot of mud daubers, but they were building unsightly mud huts all over my limestone house and were entering the attic and building in the attic. Over the summer, I effectively plugged all attic entrances. And waged a successful war against these menaces. I know, I know, they're beneficial. Try telling that to my spotted house!

I say all this because I don't want you saying that I need more mud daubers or blue wasps. I hate those things. I also hate spiders and especially the webs in my live oaks.

I plan on continuing killing all spiders, wasps, mud daubers, yellow jackets, etc. etc that are around where me and my children will be. We live on a lake and have a large back porch that is a favorite for all these pests. The particular trees with webs are right next to the porch and offer much needed shade for the setting sun.

NOW, HOW DO I GET RID OF these tiny spiders building these unsightly webs in my live oaks? Neem (no worky), Molasses spray? Seaweed spray? BT? (whatever that is.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 12:49 am 

I'm thinking the trees are not flourishing for other reasons and the spiders have moved in to take advantage of a weak tree that is attracting insects. It almost sounds like repeated applications of weed & feed to the surrounding area is just now showing up in the tree. Have any chemicals at all been used inside the drip line?

Regardless of the answer to that, I would start by spraying the tree with seaweed at least every 2 weeks, make sure the root flare is exposed, and apply compost under the tree but not up against the trunk. Take at look at Howard's sick tree treatment for further guidance.

Post subject: What's "the root flare"
PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:18 am 

Huh

Huh? Also, I don't use anything but organic material. Apply compost under trees but not up to trunk? Explain further please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2004 12:23 am 

I'm not sure what you want explained. It sound like your trees are poisoned. Where have you been getting your compost? Is there any chance that it is made on a farm where clopyralid has been sprayed on the bermuda?

Try this experiment: take a cup of your compost and put it into a gallon of water overnight. Then water a broadleaved weed with it. If the weed dies, then you have found the problem.

Clopyralid is still a popular weed killer for grassy pastures. The problem with it is that it is extremely powerful and persistent. It is so persistent that it can survive digestion juices from livestock and can remain active in manure for years even after composting. If you have been using tainted compost, then you need to get going on the sick tree treatment right away.

If you still need help, write back again. Or go over to the trees forum where you'll find lots of people talking about trees. Maybe someone else will have a different way of saying it that makes more sense. I still think the webs are a symptom and not the problem.