It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:39 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Rose of Sharon Problem
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 4:10 pm 

I have a nice large Rose of Sharon (Hibiscus syriacus) that has been happy and healthy for at least the 3 years I have lived here that has taken a turn for the worst.

Some of the leaves are turning yellow and then the whole branch looks like it is dying. It seems to start from the bottom up.

Currently about 25% of the branches are turning and the other branches are beautiful. The leaves on the effected branchs just yellow, shrivel and eventually fall off. There is no other spotting on the leaves, bad bugs, or any other signs of problems.

I have turk's cap, texas star hibiscus, butterfly bush, and passion vine growing right next to it and they are all thriving!

I spray monthly with Garret Juice.

Any ideas of what it might be and how I can fix it?

Thanks in advance[/img]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:51 am 

I could be spider mites. Can you put a white sheet of paper under it and tap the barnches? See if you can see any tiny spots on the paper. Do you see any sign of tiny webbing underneath any of the leaves. Look carefully cause they are tiny. Also, the stuff planted next to them really thrive in a very dry environment...could the plant be terribly underwatered?

Organic gardener
Tree-Hugger
Native Texan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:47 pm 

I'll try the paper and see. I have not seen any signs of webs but if they are tiny I may have missed. I'll double check.

I doubt it is underwatered. The amount of rain we have been getting here is insane. I haven't done anything special water wise in previous years and it has been great.

I'll let you know how it progresses.

Post subject: Crape Myrtle woes
PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 1:44 am 

Try the cornmeal treatment. What you describe sounds like rotting roots to me. With the weather so wet, just sprinkling a couple of cups of cornmeal about the base of the plant, working it into the soil and then letting it soak in should help a LOT. Mine sure like it. They get some with their fertilizer every 3 months or so and they never get sick.

Kathe :D