It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:41 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:41 pm 

I was trying to find a list of pests controlled by kaolin as it has not been effective with the squash bugs. They climb to the top of the plants but have not be eradicated nor repelled by using kaolin clay spray.

However this link- http://www.agrisk.umn.edu/cache/ARL02953.htm#hort - will take you to a site that claims kaolin clay( the version I purchased was from a supplier- Texas Pottery Products) is phytotoxic. I used the kaolin spray on corn( had fewer corn ear worms), beans (reduced the number of mexican bean beetle larve), tomatoes ( no noticable effect), Figs ( hope to keep the birds out but will probably use netting as usual) and peppers ( seems to keep leaf chewing insects away) and only with the squash plants did the clay seem not to work. Also kaolin clay hasn't been effective on controlling mites on cucumbers or aphids on blackeyed peas.

Any input on use of kaolin clay( plus soap) will be appreciated. :D

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:22 pm 

I am going to be picking up some to use in my garden because I'm seeing a new hatch of grasshoppers in my vegetable garden. It is supposed to help repel them. They're small enough that I'll also try the Nolo product.