It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

All times are UTC - 6 hours

Post subject: Mosquito Control
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 1:23 pm 

I have been wondering if anyone has ever tried to address organic methods to control the mosquito problem in the D/FW area. Cities all over the area are discussing again aerial and street-by street spraying of our neighborhoods. It seems to me that individual homeowners using organic methods of mosquito control, which works, would also work city-wide without the dangers of pesticides. I would think it would be more cost effective also. Any comments?

Post subject: Re: Mosquito Control
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 12:46 am 

Please take time to look through our site, you'll find a lot of information about mosquito control. So much that, pasted here, this reply would run for yards down the screen.

The Natural Organic Library, letter M. Scroll down to "mosquito" and you'll find many entries that address how to effectively keep mosquitoes from becoming a problem, and if they are active and numerous, how to treat them.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 7:02 am 

Have you had time to read some of the mosquito topics? Do you have questions? Now is the time of year to start some of the BTi treatments, and the discussion has come up on the radio program.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm 

The garlic powder really works. I started using is late in the season last year. This year I started off with it. I've seen a significant reduction in mosquitoes where I have used garlic powder. I'm buying a lot more of it tomorrow!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:10 pm 

I sprinkle powdered garlic around the yard near the house to keep mosquitoes away. It works for 3 - 4 weeks at a time. The large (gallon size) containers from Sam's Club work well - I leave the sealed inside lid in place and stab through it with a pencil to make a bunch of holes. It's like a large garlic shaker.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:24 pm 

yes you are right but getting everyone to get off their ass and do it is another thing. much easier to let the gubment do it and sit inside and have a beer or doober

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:23 am 

I bought Mosquito Barrier, which is liquid garlic concentrate. I sprayed it around the house in the grass and in some standing water.

It supposedly gets gnats as well and keeps deer away. Which is good for where I'm at. I have grass and shrub gnats by the millions.